Gable end lintel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

just after some advice please.

We have had a side extension and now what was the landing window is to become the door way/hall way.
Unfortunately the window is off centre to the required hall way so I've got to put a new lintel in above the window which means it has to be wider.

The new lintel will need to be 2m
The wall above it the original gable end.
None of the roof trusses are tied to this wall on the original side (big problem with this estate) the the new trusses are only butted up to this wall.

Just took some photos (ignore the wires and gas pipe ,they are being moved) and I am wondering if its is easier to take old window out - get a brickie to build up half the window then put in a smaller lintel for the new door way?

Or - do I put a 2m lintel in in the loft area and make good below - this then creates an opening between the two lofts which would be usful.
It also looks easier for access and means I can make the new hallway/doorway ceiling flush with the original ceiling.

Or - can i just remove all the old gable wall? - bit extreme i know lol
Either way - back to the lintel.

I've worked out 5.5kN per m2 for brick
The triangle above the opening of 1.7m would be 0.510m2 so 2.8kN dead load?
So as long as the lintel supports that which ever way I go?

Any opinions appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Just remove the old gable end. Some leave it because it means disposing more rubbish. I usually take the full out leaf off when doing a full end house extension, adds a few extra inches to the rooms.

Or put lintels in, a couple of spanlites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back