Gable window to support ridge beam - suggestions needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am having a sun room built (managing myself) The roof will be tiled, and vaulted. I want the gable window to be full height into the roof. Does anyone know any suppliers/manufacturers who can provide a window that is capable of supporting the ridge beam for this type of effort?

I don't want any doors or openings like this one though..

Sponsored Links
Either a steel portal or a column will be required, both of which a window supplier will not be able to design. An SE beckons probably.

I thought as much - anyone know any in West Yorkshire? i can google etc. but recommendations are preferred.

When proposing to build you typically need drawings, and the structural alterations you are proposing will probably, as advised above, need a SE to advise on site.

Sponsored Links
I see see you are calling it a "ridge beam", is it not just a bit of 6" X 1" ridge board? The joists hold it up the problem is to keep the ends of the joists from splaying apart.
Frank

I see see you are calling it a "ridge beam", is it not just a bit of 6" X 1" ridge board? The joists hold it up the problem is to keep the ends of the joists from splaying apart.
Frank
The roof will be.....vaulted.
Pay attention Frank!:p

You may be able to have say a cranked beam. This will require accurate representations of the roof pitch etc and a lot of measuring. All will need pro' design work.

Assuming you have a steel ridge beam, you would be looking at supporting it with a box section steel post, something like a 100 x 100. This would have plates welded on each end, with holes drilled for connection to the underside of the beam, and connection to the structure (wall? beam?) directly below.
You then need to infill either side of the post with your chosen type of frame and glazing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back