Gainsborough 8.5 Shower leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
My shower has been dripping for a while, but I put it down to condensation at the beginning.
Then I thought the shower pipe wasn't fitted tight enough, so I managed to tighten that a bit by hand.
It seemed a little better, but not stopped.
I decided to have a look inside (Electric OFF of course).
But, I can't see how to get the water to run with the front panel off.
I tried the 'On/Off' part inside, but it doesn't move.

How do I get the water to run please ?

Hope you guys are keeping well.

Sponsored Links
Show us pics of the shower ,with electric supply isolated ,and the front cover removed. Look for signs of water loss from internal parts.
Check the PRV isn't leaking ,it's situated close to the outlet pipe.

Thanks Guys,

Terry: I've just found out my phone dosn't 'share' images since the update to android12 !
I'm off for physio soon, so will try again later.

EFL: It's a nylon 'sheath' effect, for hand tightening. Pliers would rip into it also.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay guys. I'm now disabled and struggle to jump on things as fast as I used to.

EFL: An image of the pipe fitting - and the washer inside.

Terry: I had a shower yesterday, and whipped the cover off as soon as I'd finished.
I can now see some water, between the black bit, and the white bit (a bit technical I know ;)).

Looks like a strip down eh ?

Attachments

• Gainsborough 1.jpg
    Gainsborough 1.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Gainsborough 6.jpg
    Gainsborough 6.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Gainsborough 8.jpg
    Gainsborough 8.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Gainsborough 7.jpg
    Gainsborough 7.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Gainsborough 9.jpg
    Gainsborough 9.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 56
As the leak appears to be an internal one ,probably seal failure ,then it's gonna need stripping down.
If the shower is several years old it may be time to replace it with a new one. The cost of an engineer to visit and repair may well be more than the cost of a new shower.

cheers guys for taking the time to advise.
All the best to you all.
Baz

Me again,
I just heard from Gainsborough.
They say: "It sounds like you have activated the PRD pressure relief device".
Does anyone on here know about these things ? If I can 'activate' it by doing nothing, I ought be able to 'de activate' it by doing something !
B

The PRD is usually a plastic ball blocking a small hole at the point where the hose connects. It's forced out if the water pressure is too high. Typically caused when the shower head is blocked or the hose is twisted.
If activated, the water will pour out at full force, you will get next to nothing through the shower head. Unrelated to other leaks.

Ah - many thanks. Yes I've seen the plastic ball valve, but didn't know about the adverse actions.
In this case, I still get a good pressure through the hose (& I've never had it on full bore, either hot or cold).
I think they may be wrong.
Thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back