GAINSBOROUGH SHOWER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gainsborough shower or my dad does anyway. recently it started not stoping on the water flow when switched off. Inside there appears to be a valve that switches off a main valve after a few seconds. I also noticed inside the case stuck to it what appears to be some washers three white ones. Having long ago lost the instruction manual I wonder if anyone knows anything concerning this. Its a 9.5KW gainsborough shower deluxe or that is what the label says.

Sponsored Links
As I remember, Gainsborough showers are designed to allow water to flow for a few seconds after it is switched off, to cool the heater element.

I am unsure what the washers are for, but it may be that they are for sealing the ends of the hose to the shower and head.

The washer things are for installing the shower on an uneven surface

Sponsored Links
had experiences with gainsborugh showers- bad news.

Took 90 mins faffing about with one to get it to work ok, same problem as you are describing.

if you feel lucky keep trying. otherwise bin it and buy something like a triton, or mira.

as it stands- i generally avoid gainsborough like the plague.

I'm not sure if this is of any help, but I had exactly the same problem with the shower you mention. However, it wasn't an electrical, but a mechanical fault. The switch to turn it off fits on to a slotted metal shaft. I'd got a small crack in the plastic that fits onto the metal shaft, so that when the switch is turned it couldn't grip the metal properly so doesn't switch it off. Try it, if it is this, let me know and I'll give you a web site when you can get a replacement for about £6

thanks for the responses. I did think of opening it up to see inside. Have got it going first time by tapping it gently, but when next used stuck again. I think I will have to fit a good isolation valve and strip it down if possible. Its no good as it is and wont be buying another gainsborough after the negative feedback thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back