Galaxy 2-12 data issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to add a RIO and an additional RKP to an existing Galaxy 2-12 installation. I've chopped into the data buss and wired the new RKP and RIO in, but the RIO isn't being registered when I exit engineer mode and the keypad is showing stars indicating data loss, but the existing RKP that's further up the data line is working OK. I've doubled checked data polarity and all looks OK. A full power cycle hasn't made any difference either.

The existing installation had two RKP's on it and no RIO's.

EOL is in on last (existing) RKP on the line. I've tried a different keypad, and it's still the same, showing data loss.

I'm currently scratching my head like a good 'un. Any ideas gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
The RIO is address 3 - the RKP's are addressed 0, 1 & 2.

My manual says that this should give me zones 1031 - 1038 on the RIO.

Stupid question BUT are you sure you can add a rio as it's a 2-12 ? 12 zones already onboard !

Sponsored Links
That is a good point. My initial reaction to your post was that I'd made a typing error, but now I'm not so sure. I ordered it as a 2-20 (five years ago) knowing it was to be eventually expanded. If it is a 2-12, then you're right, but I thought it was a 2-20.

Might explain the third RKP not working - perhaps a 2-12 can't have more than 2 RKP's? I can't find any info on that at the moment though.

Will check when I'm home and report back.

The G2-12 will not see the additional hard wired RIO, as it's at the panel zone limit. You will need to upgrade the panel PCB to a G2-20 or G2-44 in order to use the expansion.

The G2-12 can also handle 4 keypads, so check that you have selected an address from 0,1,2,3 different to that of the existing keypad. Remember to power cycle the keypad to pick up the new address if you change the rotary selector. You also need to either power cycle the panel or perform the 112233 'esc' enginering escape sequence when in engineering mode in order to re-enumerate the bus.

Just checked again. I'm pretty sure the panel is a 2-20, as the sticker in the centre of the EPROM says '20 zones', and the keypads are set to 0, 1 and 2 and the RIO is set to address 3.

I moved the address dial on the third keypad and put it back on the same value, and this time it's picked it up. I guess it wasn't quite seated properly first time.

Still not seeing the RIO though. Just because the EPROM has '20 zones' written on it, does that prove it's a 2-20 rather than a 2-12? Any other sure way to find out?

Last edited:
Use 'display -> system' to see the model version.
Change the RIO to address 2. RIO's 0 and 1 are on-board.

System info has confirmed it's definitely a 2-20!

If I have RKP's on addresses 0, 1 & 2, is the next lowest address I can use for the RIO not 3 (which it's currently set to) rather than using 2 as you've suggested, or does it differentiate between RKP and RIO addresses?

Changing the RIO to address 2 has brought it online - thank you both so much.

So, just for my own curiosity, what's the deal with RKP and RIO addressing? My installation manual says that RKP's use addresses 0-3 and RIO's 2-5, but at the bottom of the table there's a note which says no two peripherals connected can share the same address, yet here we have a RIO and an RKP sharing address 2.

They are different peripheral types, so have different addresses on the RS485 bus. Only RIO addresses 0 and 1 are used for on-board RIO's. They also don't clash with keypads addresses 0 and 1.

Perfect - that explains it. I had assumed every device would need a unique address from any other device even those of a different type, being as they shared the buss. Presumably missing addresses isn't permitted, hence my RIO not initially working.

The G2-20 will not address above 2 for the physical RIO. The devices would clash if the addresses were the same, but the rotary dial on each device equates to a different hex address on the bus and different peripheral types start at different offsets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back