Galaxy 2 wireless PIR mating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an ADT branded Galaxy 2-12 wireless system.
I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed a new PIR sensor to such a system?

I had a problem with a PIR triggering for a while, then it stopped. Turned out it stopped because it is now dead. Replaced battery. No better.

It is still linked to unit, as the tamper is still registered by the main unit. But there is no red led or any detection. I have walked in when the alarm was turned on and it didn't register me until I entered a different room, therefore it is not working.

There is also a switch in the PIR labelled A-B, I have no idea what that is for, but tried it in both positions to no effect.

I do have the engineer code, and have done walk tests, zone programming, and so forth, so should be able to do it if I know how. I would rather not pay £100 for someone to come out and fit a £30 sensor.

Presumably, I need to buy a new compatible sensor, get sensor in some sort of 'link up' mode, get RF panel in some sort of 'link up' mode, and scan in the sensor somehow, then associate that to a zone, then program the zone etc in the usual way.

Wireless PIRs must pack up occasionally, so hoping someone has done this before...

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
as we fit the Galaxy Wireless all the time,
there seems to be nothing wrong with your PIR also, if the system was set up correctly your panel would know when the battery is going low,
as it would tell you on the keypad.

you cannot use any other type of PIR on your system it has to be a Honeywell series PIR (or dualtech, contact etc)

Oasis
a Galaxy installer for many years.

Its a Galaxy showing "Tamper" is what they do with unused zones as many other panels.

I suspect as Oasis you`re trying to fit anything to the system.

Alarm, Oasis,

Thank you for your replies.

Just to elaborate then:

Existing sensor always worked fine, until recently when it started triggering the alarm for no reason with false detections. Then a few days later it stopped doing this.

Thought maybe problem was resolved but turns out the sensor now no longer triggers the alarm at all! That's why I thought sensor was broken.

So, attempting to diagnose if the sensor was still linked in with the unit, I find the battery and RF is okay as I've triggered the tamper on the PIR in 'user' mode and the unit picked that up.

Do you think the existing PIR is faulty, or could there be another reason?

I was going to get another one. I haven't bought a new sensor yet. Yes I was going to get a compatible one. Thank you for the list of compatible sensors.

Assuming that a new PIR is required (?), I was basically just after a step by step guide of how to link it up. e.g. which menu options.

Sponsored Links
Remember the detector goes to "sleep" after an activation and this may be why you never saw it

Go to menu 21 and see what the reading is for the detector.
So menu 21, scroll to zone and press #. You will get a 4/0 0r 0/4 (numbers for clarity, not real).
Tell us what you get.

But do tell us before doing the below.

A relearn is menu 52 Go to zone number (1001-1012) option 5 clear the display press * and # and then create a tamper on the detector.
Easier to have the complete det to hand,or make sure the back and front tampers are closed when doing this ( 3 hands are handy :D ).
You should see a serial number appear across the screen.
Put back and walk test.

Hi

Okay I've done the test as advised. Zones listed as door 00/10, lounge 00/09, landing 00/10 and kitchen 00/10.

What does that indicate, exactly? Should they all be the same? Kitchen is the one that doesn't detect me.

Andy

No they can be different but yours are showing almost perfect.
10 being the better score. The numbers show the strength of signal at the last event.

Fit the kitchen one back and take care to close the tampers carefully then do a full set wait 5 mins and walk into the kitchen.

Hi 'Alarm'

Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.
Was trying to scan in the existing sensor, but tqo snagging points.

You describe going to 52/zones, 'option 5', 'clear display', 'press * and #' then activate both tampers.

I get to zones, select the zone, I then have 6 options,
1. serial no, 2. loop no, 3. supervision, 4. auto reset, 5. last signal and 6. lowest signal.
What do I do from here? How to I clear the old one, and when do I need to press * and #, and how (together, or * then # etc).

In addition, I note there only seems to be a single sensor tamper, for removal from mounting point. Sensor has three metal contacts on the back. I assume I will need to press them at the appropriate time.

I have removed the front panel from the sensor but not obvious contacts or switches there. The sensor is a Honeywell IRX-800GY.

I also note it has a switch saying A<->B, but not idea what that is for, perhaps transmitter channel, or an or/and detection mode...

Ah them PIRS

Press 21, display zones. Press (A) till kitchen comes up, Closed should be shown...... Pressing # will toggle between signal strength and zone status

If its in tamper I bet good money on the little plastic pin is missing, this will stop the sensor working.

If you need to, get to serial no, use B to clear the old no, then with your fingers close all three progs, then press * and ENT 'force tamp' will show, release prongs, serial no will now display.

1 thing to note is there will be an led in the lense flickering. This indicates in in tamper, if refitting the PIR to its base it still flickers its still in tamper. (missing the plastic pin ;)) If the led is off, its happy. Although quirk with this PIR, its stays in tamper for ten mins or so (it caught me out once)

and as i'm feeling very helpful tonight, you can swap it out to one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONEYWELL...glar_Alarms&hash=item5892462e80#ht_499wt_1153

better imo

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks '9651', that's a bit different to what the other guy said, I'll try this tonight and let you know.

No it doesn't say tamper, says closed. Just doesn't trigger. Red led when in tamper node. No red led though in normal operation even after it's had a nice sleep.

Will try and re-link the old one, see what happens. If no luck them probably will need another sensor me thinks, so thanks for the rec.

Any other PIRs that I could look at that are Galaxy compatible?

Andy

Just want to thank you all for your help. I actually managed to find someone on ebay selling used IR800M sensors for a fiver each, so I bought a few spares too for when my other sensors pack in! Much better than spending £50 on a new one, which could well fail in a few years anyway judging by the old sensors.

Paired them to the main unit successfully - easy when you know how.
Turns out I had an older RF module (CO77) which needs V2 protocol, which means I had to hold tampers while inserting battery. Between that and following all your helpful instructions, it's all sorted now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back