Galaxy fluorescent batten fittings for T8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

About 6 months ago, I replaced a set of 3 old-style fluorescent doubles in a garage - they were working fine but had the usual blinking delay before lighting up. I replaced them with the three Galaxy flourescent 5' batten fittings for T8 (what does "for T8" means?).

Since then, I have had to replace one of the 5' fittings when a tube burned out and the unit would not light up after I replaced the burned-out tube. Also within this six month period, I have replaced 4 of the tubes (out of the original 6 tubes installed), whereas the old style tubes usually lasted for a couple of years. And now a second entire fitting has refused to re-light after yet another tube burned out.

Are the Galaxy units a bad unit???. The electrical wholesaler I bought them from assures me that they are a quality product. Or could these units require a different wiring system than the old-style fittings.

I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Holmslaw.

I got the fittings and the tubes from the same wholesaler. They are not exposed to any extreme conditions in situ.

The tube packaging is branded "Crompton Lamps. 58W. T8 WHITE 3500K Halophosphate Fluorescent Lamp" - quite a mouthfull! Do you have any experience of this tube manufacturer?

Hopefully someone on the forum will have had experience of the same model of Galaxy fittings.

Thanks again for the input.

Crompton lamps are ok. The factory used to be just down the road from me. It's all houses now.

As for galaxy fittings, nope I've never heard of them either.

It seems that google hasn't either.

Take them back to the shop and get some thorn pop packs from screwfix.

Sponsored Links
Galaxy have been around a while, maybe just a model name though, used to make 70 watt sons in brown.
cases, lasted years but the screws rusted in.
Take them back to the shop and get some thorn pop packs from screwfix.

Dont like them new ones much, especially the T5 ones

I don't think I've seen them

I've installed thousands of the proper T8 pop packs over the years. They are the best, most reliable fitting you'll get.

At least their end caps don't fall off after about 5 years like tamshite ones do :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

I think I'll pull out the fittings and install a better known unit, like the Thorn.

The Galaxy fitting worked fine for a few months and then broke down. From this fact, is it safe to assume that there is no underlieing wiring problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back