Galaxy panels need info.

Hi,

Honeywell don't decide anything, they are the guys that buy into, or buy out the firms that manufacture devices. Like the big corporate greed gangs if you like, but to be fair to honeywell they have been trading for donkeys years in all aspects of electricity. Galaxy decide on the panel specs, DSC decide on their panel specs and so on, whatever brand name comes first is usually the 'boss man' e.g. Risco Gardtec, Risco Rockonet, Honeywell Accenta (just examples ). But why a door at the back, you'd need to ask an expert that one.

CD.

Sponsored Links
As a matter of interest, when I first started fitting alarms back in the late 80s there was a small grey Galaxy panel that was very programmable but not reliable. Is the modern Galaxy a relation? Was that old Galaxy a distant ancestor? Anyone know?

Would somebody care to explain why Honeywell decided it was a good idea to put back doors in their panels in the first place?!

Not back doors. Just standard account codes that need changed by installers. Some installers neglect to change them, thus leaving the default.

Would somebody care to explain why Honeywell decided it was a good idea to put back doors in their panels in the first place?!
The reason is to enable a "crashed" processor to be recovered when there is no other way to do so or to wake up a processor that has detected mis-use and shut down.

One example was a hand held computor that was designed to be fool proof in that data could not be lost. It had three batteries. Two removable and one sodered to the PCB. It coud be set up so that the key board "went dead" to prevent any further mis use. The back door was "opened" by typing a 10 digit number onto the apparently dead and non responsive keyboard. This caused the machine to "wake up"

Some back doors are un-intentionally left in by the software developer when the software is moved from the debug version to release to market version.

Sponsored Links
The reason is to enable a "crashed" processor to be recovered when there is no other way to do so or to wake up a processor that has detected mis-use and shut down.

One example was a hand held computor that was designed to be fool proof in that data could not be lost. It had three batteries. Two removable and one sodered to the PCB. It coud be set up so that the key board "went dead" to prevent any further mis use. The back door was "opened" by typing a 10 digit number onto the apparently dead and non responsive keyboard. This caused the machine to "wake up"

Some back doors are un-intentionally left in by the software developer when the software is moved from the debug version to release to market version.

Not sure which panel that is, but the Galaxy designs I am aware of combine firmware, IO and hardware reset watchdogs to take care of any CPU crash or hang.

That makes more sense. So in which case, is there anything else I need to change on my (self-installed) Galaxy other than the default eng and mgr codes? Also, why are 'Auntie Daisy' Galaxys non-standard?

That makes more sense. So in which case, is there anything else I need to change on my (self-installed) Galaxy other than the default eng and mgr codes? Also, why are 'Auntie Daisy' Galaxys non-standard?

Depends which panel model as far as the codes go. Some of the panels have additional system users.

The panels loaded with ADT firmware have a different set of defaults when the panel starts up, or the defaults are re-loaded. This can be annoying when installing if you're using the keypad to program. Much easier with the programming lead and RSS.

I just knew someone would bite. :D

See I got you to Bernard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back