Galv. Box trunking, protecting edges around openings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to intall something at work, and rather than using 100x100 PVC Trunking, I'd rather use 100x100 Galv trunking so that it matches the existing stuff, However I need to cut an opening in it for cables (Telephony / Data) around 550mm long however I dont want the edges getting damaged.

What are the options? Sticky tape around the cut, isnt too high on my list!

Are there any types of pvc / rubber edging stip I can buy, as opposed to some black tubing and a stanley knife blade.

David

Sponsored Links
you can get a plastic clip-on edging, it comes in rolls. The supplier of the trunking ought to have it.

rather than hack a jagged hole in it, couldn't you use a T-piece?

It's called grommet strip and it's available in a couple of sizes, make sure the size you get is for the gauge of metal work that you need it for

SR150.JPG

A blob of super glue helps to keep the strip in place if required :rolleyes:

Wish I could use a T however the opening needs to be around 560mm Long!

David

Sponsored Links
dw3101 said:
Wish I could use a T however the opening needs to be around 560mm Long!

David

Take off a section of the lid, maybe? Or run the new cables out of a T and present them in a Box? Or mount a box on the trunking? are you having a Patch Panel or something?

Its to go under a phone system, Theres around 16x 20 pair cables to come out along the length.

What I'll probably do is holesaw each end and then jigsaw it out.. T&E would probably work well, but would look a little rough, even though it would be effective.. Ill get some of the grommet srip I think. - Either that or just stomach PVC..

David

What about using some large bushes and couplings between the trunking and the phone system enclosure?

Cant do that the opening needs to be around 540mm

Idea we are swinging towards is removing most of the side of the trunking, and just spanning the gap with the lid.

Will sort some pics to explain.

the generally accepted way is to use paxylin ( sp? ) which is an insulating board made of something resembling bakerlite..

you cut the hole in the paxylin just a little smaller than the holes in both the trunking and the box and fix through with pins to continue the earth...
make sure you cut the paxylin back from the front edge of the trunking or you will find fitting the lid difficult..

Thats also what the sparkys have recommended, as I have asked them to fit the Galv trunking.. We dont have time.

They have used paxolin (sp) between the MCCB board & the 2x 24way TP Merlin Gerin Boards..

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back