Gangs to close any ideas?

. You should have s/o behind the appliances.

That is the absolute worst place to put a socket outlet.
Two examples:
The fuse has blown and the W/m is full of water and washing. How you going to access the plug? Stupid.

Electrician has to do PAT test. Do you expect him to drag a heavy w/m across the vinyl floor so the test can be carried out? Stupid.

Sponsored Links
That is the absolute worst place to put a socket outlet. Two examples: ....
As your examples illustrate, it certainly has it's problems - even though I suspect that it is the most common arrangement.

I wonder what you advocate as a better approach? Under-counter appliances plugged into above-counter sockets would probably be regarded as too messy by many, and hard-wiring behind the appliance (to above-counter FCU) is even worse than a plug/socket there. So what does one do? - a socket in, or accessible via, an adjacent cupboard, perhaps ... or what?

Kind Regards, John

Washing machines are heavy.

Does the washing and small amount of water used nowadays make that much difference?

The adjacent cupboard would be good but some may not want their new units cut - is it really worth the bother?

That is the absolute worst place to put a socket outlet.

Well there's some advice to ignore, but TTC recommends socket outlets should never be installed behind appliances, looks like the whole of the UK's kitchens need a rewire.

Two examples:
The fuse has blown and the W/m is full of water and washing. How you going to access the plug? Stupid..

You turn off the local isolator, that makes it safe. And the water problem is irrelevant however it was wired.

Electrician has to do PAT test. Do you expect him to drag a heavy w/m across the vinyl floor so the test can be carried out? Stupid.

I think the words "heavy w/m" are relevant here to your imagined problem. The P means portable, popeye might think a w/m is portable. But the rest of the world would call it a fixed appliance.

Edit - deleted because JohnW2 says not relevant to this topic.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
And of course "lollipop" circuits over come all perceived or imagined safety problems and are very aesthetically pleasing.
Can you perhaps elaborate on that? I personally have no problem, per se, with "lollipop" circuits, but don't really see their relevance to the issue being discussed.

Kind Regards, John

The adjacent cupboard would be good but some may not want their new units cut - is it really worth the bother?
If what one sees in a high proiportion of kitchens and utility rooms is anything to go by, one imagines that a high proportion of people either don't think it is "really worth the bother" or else don't think about it at all, and do it because "that's how it's always been done" (which, as we know, is not always a particularly logical approach!).

Kind Regards, John

Can you perhaps elaborate on that? I personally have no problem, per se, with "lollipop" circuits, but don't really see their relevance to the issue being discussed.

Kind Regards, John

deleted because you say they are irrelevant to this topic

deleted because you say they are irrelevant to this topic
Now you are being plain silly - and, in any event, your 'deleted' words (if they are, perhaps, now embarrassing you) are preserved for ever in my posted quote of them.

However, if you really do feel that "lollipop" circuits offer a good solution to the issue being discussed, I would genuinely like to understand what you are suggesting.

Kind Regards, John

Now you are being plain silly - and, in any event, your 'deleted' words (if they are, perhaps, now embarrassing you)

Why should they embarrass me. I know what I'm talking about and I know I'm right, and that is all I need to know.

And if I was wiring a kitchen that's the method I would use, as has been used in at least 200 flats in London.

Last edited:
Why should they embarrass me. I know what I'm talking about and I know I'm right, and that is all I need to know.
You're continuing to be even more silly than usual.

If you know what you're talking about and know you're right, why on earth are you not prepared to share an explanation with the rest of us.

Do you only post in this forum to achieve some sort of self-satisfaction, or do you actually want to communicate your ideas (which, for all I know, might be good ones in this case) to others?

Kind Regards, John

What a bodge. So when your dishwasher needs servicing or replacement you need to call a sparks first to disconnect it. Appliances come with plugs for a reason. You don't need separate isolation either, pulling a plug is the best isolator there is.

Taylortwocities said you should'nt use plugs and sockets

Taylortwocities said you should'nt use plugs and sockets
Where did he say that?

He said that he didn't think it sensible to put the plugs/sockets behind heavy appliances, but I didn't notice him saying that one should not use plugs/sockets at all.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back