Gap behind base unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted 3 kitchen base units (1000mm and 2x 600mm) with not much problem

However the last 600mm unit will not sit flush with the wall.. No matter how i adjust, there is a 12-16mm gap

What can I do about this?

Sponsored Links
It is fine in the front but there is a gap in the back

Looking at the wall it doesn't look like it drops back, however this must be the case.

Either that or i must have made some sort of error with the other units which has carried over into this one perhaps?

upstand/tiles at the back will cover a bit off that
is your worktop wide enough to scribe it back

Sponsored Links
@big-all

The worktop has the following dimentions 3m length, 600mm width

The base units combined have a length of 2.81m

And the protruding carcus that wont fit flush to the wall has a width of 583mm

So i will have to scribe the worktop? Also is it okay to leave a 10mm gap between worktop and wall as the area will be tiled (metro)?

I am a newbie when it comes to scribing, can you advise on which area i need to work on? Also will a compass/pencil be okay to use or is there better equipment?

do the units line up with the floor covering
if your using something will parallel lines
if your units are not parallel to the far wall the lines may not look right

@foxhole after building the units, i put them in the place they are meant to be. I then leveled all the units (front, back and sides) the last unit is the main problem

After spending hours adjusting, i got them in the best position i can, i then fixed the units together (except the last)

@big-all I'm not really sure what you mean, so I'll take a pic and hopefully this will clear things up

Units should be fixed together before being offered to wall ,that way you can balance and pack any gaps each end keeping them to a minimum.

Oh wow, so all four units should be connected up before being offered to the wall?

I didn't know that

Wouldn't that be too heavy to move around for one person?

Oh wow, so all four units should be connected up before being offered to the wall?

I didn't know that

Wouldn't that be too heavy to move around for one person?
Should be fine I fitted a 5m run on my own, assemble close to wall and push back a littlel at a time, you might be able to chop out plaster in middle region to get all back to wall.

You've checked the carcasses for upright with a spirit level?
litl
So you're supposed to check that they the carcasses are plumb too??

Well as i never did this, i guess that's why I'm having issues now...

I assumed that if it were level, then it would be plumb too? Right about now I'm wishing i hired a pro loool

I will probably scribe and pack the gap with some colour matching wood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back