Gap between bath seal and wall: packing material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What to use to fill a void between the bath seal and the wall? The gap is large tile width + plaster coat width.
When I initially fitted the bath seal I used silicone sealant. But the seal became mouldy over time and now when I come to replace the seal I have a terrible time removing not only the silicone used to fix the bath seal, but another lot of silicone in the void.

I thought about using plastic bag material. Or even leaving the void empty.

But the wall is uneven and so are the tiles. A perfect watertight seal is very difficult, and there may always be the chance of some water ingress.

Sponsored Links
mike004, good evening.

You could consider fitting quarter round ceramic tiles, they come in short lengths and can be bedded in mastic, the trick with them is to apply mastic to both the tile facing side of the trim and the bath facing side, fit and move left and right to bed in.

Do not leave an open gap ! ! !

below is on an Amazon web page, there are a load of "Tile Trims" out there, may be worth a look?

White Gloss Tile 6ft x 23mm (1.8m), Ceramic White Bathtrims / Quadrant Sets Tiles, Per Pack
by Johnsons tiles

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back