Gap Between New Door and Frame on the inside 7mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had the windows and door replaced in my flat and the last time I did this was in my old house, some 25 years ago, and from what I remember - everything was a nice snug fit with minimal gaps around doors – like 1-2mm tops.

But this installation has a 7mm gap on the inside between the door and frame and it is draughty - surely 7mm is too large a gap? There's other issues which may well be causing the draught so I'd like to hear from someone in the know - has this been a sloppy install or is this just how things are done these days as it seems crazy to me?

I've attached a pics.

Thanks.
b.jpg
a.jpg

Sponsored Links
It’s hard to tell what the image is

Is the door open in or open out and is the gap on the hinge or handle side

It is either the door has not been adjusted correctly or the manufacturers have made an error on dimensions

The gap is not important, what counts is whether the door seals fully on all four sides to the weather seal as it closes and the action of the lock should pressure the weather seal to make it air tight.

Adjustment either on hinges or lock keeps or both might solve it

It’s slightly possible the installer has screwed the frame in place whilst not have correctly fitted wedge packers so the screws force the frame apart as they are tightened.

That's a picture of the centre of the frame, what are the gaps like in the corners where the frame can't be bowed?

What's the gap like on the hinge side?

If the gap is even all the way around albeit large then it can't be a sloppy install because the fitter/s have no control over the size of the slab within the frame opening, they've probably done their best to centre the door in the frame, better photos would help paint a better picture

Sponsored Links
Ok I'll put another picture up - the gaps around the door on the hinge side and the top are about 2 to 3mm.

The gap at the bottom of the door and the handle side is 7mm. Yes it's draughty at the bottom, on the right at the handle side, at the letterbox and at the top of the frame between the door and the glass panel - because there's also a gap in the frame which goes all the way through to the outside...quality.

The door also sticks out from the frame on the handle side about 1mm at the top and by the time you get to the floor it sticks out 5mm.

Now I originally wanted views on the gap inside between the door and the frame at the handle side alone because I wanted to know if this was an obvious tell-tale sign that the installation was a rushed and sloppy job, I hate questioning the quality of trademen but let’s be honest, there’s some chancers out there.

Take a look at the top right hand corner of the glass panel on the right above the jackets (I apologise for the clutter but I’m in the midst of renovating this place) – see that piece of PVC on the horizontal sticking out past the frame - wtf is that? Also the pvc on the vertical on the same side running top to floor where it meets that piece that's sticking out beyond the glass – well at the top it’s actually sticking out a good 8mm and you can push it back so that it’s flush as it should be only for it to pop back out - and it’s only held at a 8mm protrusion by the sealant – remove that and I’m confident more of it would pop out.

I could go on and on with this door - but I'll post a couple more pictures - one showing the door sticking out from the frame on the internal at the bottom (its about 1mm at the top and 5mm at the bottom on the handle side - hinge side is equal top to bottom), and a gap in the pvc on the internal between the door handle side and glass frame at the very bottom - someone please assure me that these are just snagging works - or is this just shoddy work from start to end - just so I know how to handle this lot when they come back this week to do their quality check because I have been known to lose my nut at times and I want to be fair but as I come from an engineering background where your tolerances are +- 2mm and not the construction industry where tolerances seem to be - ach that'll do... I’m trying hard right now to contain my anger as more and more of this installation reveals itself. Don't even get me started with the windows...they still sell tape measures right?

I had the flu during the installation which is why they weren’t questioned at the time because I wasn't here and why I’m hoping you can all let me know if I should temper my anger or tear them a new one – my gut says – cowboys - but what say you?

IMG_20240225_064446295_MFNR.jpg
IMG_20240224_155442682_MFNR.jpg
IMG_20240224_122401375_MFNR.jpg

IMG_20240224_122449453_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240224_122449453_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240224_122449453_HDR.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 15
Well from the picture you've taken standing back it looks like the door is hung on standard butt hinges with no lateral adjustment so the door couldn't have been adjusted over.

Can't really make much out from the rest of the pictures

The door also sticks out from the frame on the handle side about 1mm at the top and by the time you get to the floor it sticks out 5mm.
Frames was put in twisted, or door is badly twisted

Most likely is they put it in new frame in position of old frame to avoid making good after - is it rendered outside?

Sticking out 5mm is a common reason for not sealing on weather seals

When being fitted, the frame gets put in place and wedged, then the door is hung and swinging, then the frame is moved around until the door sits nice.

It’s impossible to tell exactly what’s wrong without knowing where it’s not touch the rubbers and what adjustments are available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back