Gap between our wall and neighbour's wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had some work done on our front wall. However, there is still a gap between the start of our wall and our neighbours wall. Since it wasn't like this to start off with, we would like to rectify it.

The gap is about 1-2 inches wide, and maybe 3 feet high (see pic), so I feel it's a job we should do ourselves rather than call someone else in to do it. Problem is, I don't know how to do it. :oops:

I gather it's not simply a case of stuffing cement in there; do we need some rubble/hardcore to hold the cement in place. Will this be difficult for me (with not much DIY experience) to do on my own?

Thanks,
angerball

View media item 37477

Sponsored Links
Pack it with semi-dry screed mix i.e. sharp sand and cement with a little water.

With a semi-dry mix you should be able to point it or at least face it, without the risk of slump.

Thanks for the reply.

We've already bought a 'Ready to Use - Quick-Set' bag of cement, which requires no mixing. Can we still make screed from this by using not so much water, or would we be better off buying the sand and cement to mix from scratch?

Mix up a semi dry, sand and cement mix (4:1), using sharp sand as Noseall says. I wouldn't use the Quick Set cement.
After dampening down the "gap" pack the semi dry mix into it. If it starts to fall out or slump, let it steady up for a couple of hours. You wont need that much mix for the job anyway. Don't make the mix too wet,,, you need just enough water to bind it together. Just make sure you don't make a mess of the finished brickwork. Putting a piece of sticky tape down the brick edge will help you keep it clean.

Sponsored Links
Why can't the OP use the quick set? Its not instant and still stays workable for an hour or so.

I'd just use that bag you have, add a bit of water so that it just takes the dryness out of it and you can squeeze it in your hand and it stays together without lots of water being squeezed out, and then throw it in the gap

A bit of wood held up the front will hold it in which you fill it up.

The trick is don't add too much water, and the rest is straightforward

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back