Gap between shower screen and tile

M

marsaday

I will be using a piece of glass set into a glazing channel (which is set in the wall). So the glass looks like it comes straight out of the wall.

I will be tiling next to the screen and want to know what i do when i lay the tiles next to the screen.

Do i leave the normal grout gap and just grout in here or do i need to leave it empty.

Ideally i will use clear silicon down this joint.

It has been mentioned i need to leave an expansion gap, but i thought the grout allowed expansion. bit confused here.

Sponsored Links
You must leave a small gap to allow for differential expansion & movement of the glass screen but don’t use grout it will crack, fall out & let in water; it’s got to be silicone. Slightly different application but I don’t grout on fire surrounds; I leave approx 1mm gap & fill it with clear silicone, however, this is always on uncut tile edges.

I’ve not tried what you propose but if you use clear silicone I think you will have two problems;
• you will almost certainly see the uneven cut tile line (through the silicone) adjacent to & running down the outside of the glass
• you will also see the raw cut tile edge through the other side of the glass - if you get what I mean.

It may be better to use silicone that matches the colour of your grout but you need to force it fully into the gap if it’s to look good.

I trust it's a toughened safetey glass screen!

Sponsored Links
Why would you ask if it was toughened saftey glass ? Who would use normal glass as a shower screen ?

I am framing my tiles in a two line course of travertine bricks so i wont have any cuts running up this glass so i could well just use my clear silicone.

Will i need to force the silicone into my ungrouted channel or do i just leave the silicone to sit on the tile and the shower screen ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back