Gap filling on wooden front door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Our front door has some small hairline cracks on the panels, in some cases you can just sbout see daylight, eek.

I'm thinking I can fill these? I'm just unsure what to use.

Based on where it is on the door running a bead down from a tube of something and going over it eith a wet finger seems more likely to be successful than a fill job with a filling knife.

I do have Tourpret wood filler but it's powered so would need to go on eith a filling knife.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220814_114612.jpg
    20220814_114612.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
I would seriously consider buying a new, stronger door.
Your front and back doors should be strong points against any form of unauthorised entry. One kick at that panel and they will be in and your house ransacked quicker than you can make a phone call.

It does feel pretty solid, but that thought did cross my mind. For such thick doors I was quite surprised to see the cracking.

The powder based filler will crack pretty quickly.

You could use a tube OF MS polymer, eg CT1, but you may find that in time, the expansion results in ripples in the CT1, but if applied correctly, it should not split. They are similar to silicone, ie flexible but they can be painted over, with the caveat that the first coat of paint is waterbased.

Sponsored Links
Ah that's cool, I have some ct1, although I think it'd grey, I'll get some white. Blinding stuff.

Most of the damage you'll seldom see as it's behind the heavy curtain

Repair care dry flex resin. 4 hour set.
Make template and drag to shape. Easy enough.
Timbabuild make same but just a different brand. Watch YouTube demos

Cheers Wayners. Man I see you're responses all over dude! Good stuff, oh, entirely unrelated but I did try a contour pillow in the end too! Works for me pretty well!

I would seriously consider buying a new, stronger door.
Your front and back doors should be strong points against any form of unauthorised entry. One kick at that panel and they will be in and your house ransacked quicker than you can make a phone call.
who would you phone ? don't think police are interested in that sort of thing now, too busy policing twiitter

Dryflex 4 2 in 1 is the sfuff you mean then Wayners? I've had a look, I can see it mostly used for sort of decayed window ledges etc. I'd be concerned I'd be able to prep the area well enough and actually get this sfuff in sufficiently. We're talking a crack you could get a pin through but not a coin for example - very fine.

Side note, when considering ct1 I came across their multisolve spray to tool it. Blimey, looks like a useful can of stuff to have around to get stuff off stuff basically!

Repair care dry flex resin. 4 hour set.
Make template and drag to shape. Easy enough.
Timbabuild make same but just a different brand. Watch YouTube demos

I generally agree with your answers but if a door panel is going rogue, epoxy resin will be unlikely to help.

I too (often) recommend epoxy resins but I have never, ever, come across an epoxy filler that can be dragged to leave a finish that doesn't require extra filling or sanding.

A tube of Dry Flex 4. plus the liquid and gun is about £50 for the epoxy resin, another £20(?) for the liquid and then another £30 for the shockingly awful plastic cartridge gun- totalling about £100.

A tube of MS polymer will fit in to a standard gun and cost anywhere between £6 and £11, and it will be far more flexible than any epoxy resin.

Sorry mate, I normally agree with you, but on this one I do not

Side note, when considering ct1 I came across their multisolve spray to tool it. Blimey, looks like a useful can of stuff to have around to get stuff off stuff basically!

I did purchase some of that years ago but have never used it.

Thanks to a member here, I discovered that if you drip your finger in white spirit the CT1 will not stick to it.

how old, and how thick, is the door?

did the cracks appear during this record-breaking spell of hot dry weather, and do they close up when it turns cold and damp?

are there cracks in the paint at any of the joints where the panels are grooved into the stiles and rails?

did the cracks appear during this record-breaking spell of hot dry weather, and do they close up when it turns cold and damp?

are there cracks in the paint at any of the joints where the panels are grooved into the stiles and rails?

I have seen exiting paint work that has developed expansion cracks that had not exited prior to the superly hot weather

Hey Jon,

It was put in when the previous owner did the whole place up about 12-13 years ago.

My wife thinks she could see something very minor before, but I think it was perhaps a crack in the paint. It's only after this prolonged spell it's got worse. We've not been here long enough to know how it will go in the winter yet.

I'm not too sure what door parts those are I'm afraid, from what I can see it's just on those upright bits I posted. It's on both doors, however, it's only really on the door we don't really use, which most often has a curtain behind it. The main door it's just a very minor bit.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back