Gap in garage ceiling below bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, during winter our bathroom can be quite cold and doesn't really hold much heat. I have the bathroom window sealed up and loft insulation in place. Recently I have noticed a draught coming out of a gap between the tiles and our bath. The bathroom is above our garage. I went down to the garage and noticed a gap in the ceiling just where the bath should be above me. This is making me think that a factor as to why it doesn't hold very much heat is due to the draught coming out of the side of the bath which is probably getting its draught from the gaps I have noticed in the ceiling in garage. Does this sound viable?

Picture here of the gap in ceiling.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvxDFgUHUgNCxFBU8akO9_WRwLpC

Should I fill this gap with expanding foam?
If so, which type of foam should I use as there seems to be a few types of foam.

Please help, Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
EastBelfastian, good evening.

Could I ask that you consider the problem from a very slightly different angle?

1/. How about you draft proof the Garage door? it does not have to be hermetically sealed however. if you can drastically reduce the sheer volume of air getting in around the door that would assist in reducing overall heat loss.

2/. Suggest that you consider insulating the entire area of the garage ceiling? it may be worth fixing a Non Flammable insulation board direct on to the existing plasterboard? why? because this material will enhance the area of the bathroom floor plus any other areas of the upper floor that impinges over the Garage. Why Non Flammable? if there is a fire from the vehicle it is not a good idea to have Flammable material just waiting for something to do?

Because it is a Garage, the overall appearance does not have to be shall we call it "pristine" Likewise the draught proofing of the garage door is of minor importance?

Ans by the way Yes by all means apply a squirt of Foam into the Gap. it will greatly assist in the short term. The reason for the draught is that the Plaster on the ceiling Plasterboard has not totally filled the plasterboard to the Edge of the wall.

Ken.

1/. How about you draft proof the Garage door? it does not have to be hermetically sealed however. if you can drastically reduce the sheer volume of air getting in around the door that would assist in reducing overall heat loss.

2/. Suggest that you consider insulating the entire area of the garage ceiling? it may be worth fixing a Non Flammable insulation board direct on to the existing plasterboard? why? because this material will enhance the area of the bathroom floor plus any other areas of the upper floor that impinges over the Garage. Why Non Flammable? if there is a fire from the vehicle it is not a good idea to have Flammable material just waiting for something to do?

Because it is a Garage, the overall appearance does not have to be shall we call it "pristine" Likewise the draught proofing of the garage door is of minor importance?

Ans by the way Yes by all means apply a squirt of Foam into the Gap. it will greatly assist in the short term. The reason for the draught is that the Plaster on the ceiling Plasterboard has not totally filled the plasterboard to the Edge of the wall.

Ken.

Good evening KenGMac.

Many thanks for your response. Funny you mention the garage door. It could definitely do with a bit of draught proofing. In fact, I wrote a thread and attached photo on the issue here: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garage-door-draught-gap.468487/

The sides and bottom of door don't have much draught, but the top definitely does and you will see why in the photo. What product would you recommend for the draught proofing the top of the door?

Sponsored Links

Ken.

How would I attach insulation boards to a plaster board ceiling? Would I just use nails?

To be honest I'd say the garage is unheated space so the air barrier and insulation should be at bathroom floor/garage ceiling void. My recommendation would be if you decide the garage ceiling is the air barrier to block all the holes there, but you have to also make sure there are no other holes to outside in the floor/ceiling void. We had a massive hole blasted in our wall letting a draught between the two, no idea what the person who fitted the waste pipe was thinking, but once we blocked that up the Upstairs floor was heaps better.
It's almost more important to draught proof than insulate, as insulation is expensive and worthless of you have draughts, but draught proofing really helps even with the same insulation. Like wearing a loose coat with the wind blowing up the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back