Gap in guttering end. Council moaning?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm in the unfortunate position to have a council house on each side of my property.

I have recently had a lot of work done including new gutters front and back and gutter trays

I asked the fitter to stop end the gutters at both ends front and back and he has done. Theres appox 1 inch gap at the front and the Council have complained.

Bearing in mind the Council house gutters are completely full of soil and grass!, I have told them about this but they can't get in to clean them till 18th August!.

The fitter has said the gap is on the rise of the roof (rafter underneath) and water will run into both gutters.

It was p1ssing down at 11.30 last night so I went out to have a look and he was right, there are no drips as expected.

I feel like telling the Council to do one really (not the only issue we have with their properties!). But should I do something about it even though there is no issue?.

Basically when the council do clean the gutters out that will be the only time in probably 10 years so whatever happens I don't want any of their sh1te linked to mine!

Any comments appreciated.

20180613_231623.jpg
20180613_231657.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just stick to your guns. If you've gone to the expense of having new gutters fitted, why should you then connect it up to dirty guttering?

Tell them you will connect it up after the gutters have been cleaned.

Sponsored Links
There's an explicit right of passage of water via the gutters with any joined property like this. But you may get a response now.

The gutter should really be reconnected, and bear in mind that you can report the gutters as being in need of cleaning at any time, it's not just up to the tenants.

They have a downpipe on their side at the front, there was a downpipe at both ends of the block at the back (4 house run), I've added my own and capped theres off so they are no worse off than before..

The fitter has said he'll pop round and add a bit of flashing (as suggested above as well) but I'm deffinitely not having my runs connected again..

Bearing in mind this house has just been signed off after 3 months of refurbishment it's a fxxcking joke really, I don't normally swear but this warrants it I believe!.

20180614_082546.jpg
20180614_082616.jpg

Yep next door has full aspestos back and aspestos front downpipe!.

We usually connect them up to stop the neighbours being a pain in the arse but secretly we cut and weld an internal stopend to the inside of the gutter right on the join. From downstairs it looks connected but in the gutter there is a little mini dam in the way!

To be fair they're right that they should be all connected up to avoid gaps, but also they should maintain their sections correctly.
I like the suggestion of connecting them to avoid a gap but putting a small mal in to stop the muck coming.
I'm sure we have had a few thread on here over the years where someone has water coming into their loft because there's a long run and some people disconnected their gutters so all the water goes to the poor person at the other end!

the fact is , there is a gap because your is too short.. why not add a union in your gutter length which would close up the gap.

I came home in the rain tonight after work and checked the gutters on the way in, still no leaks..

Theres a downpipe on each end of the block of 4 so 2 houses per downpipe, I've not put any more stress on the pipes that were already there.

I'm having the ridges redone but to be honest I'm in the mind of leaving the gutters as they are as they aren't leaking...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back