Gap in guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After a bit of advice regarding some guttering.

The gutter in question is on the back wall of the neighbour's garage which ajoins the rear of of our garden, it is ultimately the neighbour's responsibility but because it is hidden from and they could only get access via our garden I thought I would tackle this myself.

I have included a couple of pictures - as you can see, the gutter has pulled away from the joint causing water to run down the garage wall and into our garden. I cannot get enough movement in the gutter to re-make the joint securely and because of restricted access to the rest of the run of guttering due to trees etc I thought my best bet might be to cut the gutter a foot or so from the faulty joint and put in another union piece thus extending the gutter enough to remake the joint.

Does that idea sound like a goer? If not I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I cannot see why that wouldn't work.

Provided you have enough guttering to adequately sit in the clips / joiners, this should not be a problem.

Does that idea sound like a goer?

thumbs_up_smiley%5B1%5D.gif

That looks like a narrow jointing/union piece to me floplas do union that is wider 4" and would be another solution.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked inside the union? It may have shifted to the left causing the gutter to ride over the retaining lug if it wasn't secured properly, if not then your suggestion to insert a piece is fine.

I would suggest un-clipping the gutter section from the brackets so it is completely free to move. I would imagine that the guttering is long enough and was connected at some point, if you cannot move it enough to bridge the gap, it could be that a union or bracket is preventing you from getting any movement.
As suggested above, if it really is too short, then cutting it down enough to fit a small section and another union in place would be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back