Gaps between Stramit board and oak frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one section of external wall which is old oak frame infilled [probably about 40 years ago] with plastic membrane & Stramit board which has been rendered and then painted . However there are now gaps between this infill and the oak frame which let in moisture etc. The surface of the oak has deteriorated, but the core of these timbers is still very sound.
20220616_142531.jpg

Is it advisable to fill these gaps and if so what with ?
Or should I just leave it to breathe ... even more than when it was originally constructed ?

Attachments

• 20220616_142531.jpg
    20220616_142531.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
That oak frame looks as though it has been riddled with woodworm. If it is, (or has been in the past), then I would seriously doubt the inner core would still be sound. I would get an expert to check the structural soundness of them, especially if they are supporting beams. May save a lot of heartache in the future.

Traditionally, these would be filled with Oakum caulk, and then lime render

That oak frame looks as though it has been riddled with woodworm. If it is, (or has been in the past), then I would seriously doubt the inner core would still be sound. I would get an expert to check the structural soundness of them, especially if they are supporting beams. May save a lot of heartache in the future.
Fortunately it is only the outer sap wood which was affected, the inner heartwood [i.e. most of the thickness] of these timbers is very hard and solid - but your point is a very valid one -thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back