Garage Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage with a pitched roof and i want to put a ceiling / suspended floor in to act as storage space. The external walls are single brick.

Question: Are speedy hangers sufficient to hang the joists from, if so what size and how far apart should they be spaced?

Regards zarni.

Sponsored Links
More info needed.

Whats the existing roof construction.....trusses?
What centres are they at?
Span/pitch of the existing roof
Thickness and height of brick walls, a lot of people confuse a "single" brick wall with a half brick wall
Are you going to floor the roof space.......a ceiling just adds unecessary weight

Iyou have say a 3.0m wide garage you'll need something like 7x2 joists at 450 crs. to form a floor.

Thanks for the reply.

the width of the garage is quite narrow at 2.4 meters, length 4m, roof construction is of corregated asbestos sheeting (which i hope to plasterboard over), held in place by 4 timber trusses, 2 near the apex and 2 about half way down. pitch is circa 35 degrees.
Unlikely to create cieling at this stage, but may want to in the future.

And yes accept my apologies for being a thick, it is a half brick wall!!

Sponsored Links
Can't see you getting much usable storage space with those dimensions with a double pitched roof your looking at only 800mm from eaves level to ridge.

Assuming that you have some usable height below the eaves level to create a floor then joist hangers could be used but I personally don't like fixing them to the face of a brick wall.

The BAT Maxi Speedy looks like the sort of thing your talking about. Problem is a half brick wall doesn't give you much to bolt into, all your expanding type anchor bolts require a set length of embedment into the wall. Also difficult to keep the supports level with each other.

A bit heath robinson but I would fix joists along the wall and clamp them right through the wall with long bolts then just build a conventional floor with timber to timber loist hangers.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back