Garage Consumer unit query

It Will be installed by a competent Part P qualified person, Myself. Newly qualified and embarking on my 1st large(ish) install.Just need to get all the theory into practice so advice is very welcome here, should have mentioned this at the start of the post.

The circuit design is a simple one, 1x2way light circuit and 1 Radial circuit (3x 2g switched sockets), with the expansion for future security lights.

I have measured the outer sheath of the SWA at 12mm (not 6).
To be honest, i thought the SWA earth connected from the House C/U would be ok.
But if i need an Earth electrode, then thank you, it will be installed.
If i do indeed attach the Garage c/u via an earth electrode, do i disconnect the SWA earth on the garage c/u ?

Sponsored Links
As for circuit design, simple, 1x2way light circuit and 1 Radial circuit (3x 2g switced sockets).
So there's nothing else you need to consider when designing circuits?

To be honest, i thought the SWA earth connected from the House C/U would be ok.
But if i need an Earth electrode, then thank you, it will be installed.
If i do indeed attach the Garage c/u via an earth electrode, do i disconnect the SWA earth on the garage c/u ?
You're a qualified electrician - you should know all this.

As i have said, Newly qualified and looking for advice NOT a telling off !
Advice is all i seek.

Newly qualified or not, knowing whether to and/or how to export a TN-C-S earth to an outbuilding is such a fundamental, and matter-of-life-and-death-important, issue that you must surely know it to be considered qualified......?

Sponsored Links
I have to agree with BAS's attitude here. You say that you are embarking on a large(ish) install. I would say that you need a reality check.

You have been stumped by simple problems such as working out the csa of a cable. This implies that to explain to you how to work out whether an earth needs exporting and, if so, how and with what cable, would be encouraging you to take on a job that you are not ready for yet.

If you cannot calculate your design current in the first instance, then everything thereafter will be a guess.

What exactly is your qualification?

I'm wondering what gets taught on these courses and what you have to know in order to pass.

In the meantime, what exactly does this mean? -
a competent Part P qualified person

I must apologies to all you here.
Firstly when i said i am a newly qualified Part P, i shouldn't have, clearly.

I have done my Part P course with a EAL accredited training organization and subsequently my 17th wiring regs too. I want to get into the Electrical trade and was going to renew my garage circuit as the current one is very old, thought it would be good practice for me to learn. I have yet to join elecsa (this is my preferred organization to join), so once installed, i was hoping to get the local authority to check and test my install.
Obviously my knowledge is newly aquired(and yes i should know what csa is, obviously some of those classroom lessons have not sunk in). Need to go over my studies again.

I get the message. Don't attempt this install until more competant/expierianced.

Thanks though, your replies have given me a reality check (as Sparkyspike said).

I still want to progress in this trade so what do you think i should do to get on ?
Should i join an accredited association or look for further training and experience first ?

Thanks.

In my opinion, the only way to really understand what you have learnt on a course, is to apply that learning.

Clearly you are not ready yet to do it alone, so I think you need to go and work with an experienced electrician - watch and learn - and then re-read your notes each time you come across something that makes you think "Ah, I didn't know that" or "Ah, so that's what the lecturer meant" or "**** they didn't tell us about that" etc.

An apprenticeship would be ideal but I believe they are hard to come by.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back