Garage conversion for extra room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a issue with my current house in that the kitchen is on its own at the front of the house and we have a child.

The door into the integral garage is directly opposite the kitchen. Im tempted to convert the garage into a play room or little snug where the little one can play while i cook.

Only problem is (i dont really know if its even a problem), is that the end room will end up being 5 metres long by about 2.1 metres wide.

Will this look stupid or can i make it work? Id hope to put a little sofa in, id like to keep my chest freezer in there too so would maybe have to box that in so it looks nice, and i could do with a cupboard to store my tools away.

Any idea on costing for an integrated garage conversion? It has electrics in there, will need a radiator, floor raised to match rest of house and bricked up with a window at the front. I live in north east.

Sponsored Links
Ensure you use plenty of insulation underfloor, above and on the walls as it will be cold in there without.
Consider making a seperate walled off (with door) utility room so youngun is not tempted to play with the utilities.
While doing it add ethernet too.

Sponsored Links
Ensure you use plenty of insulation underfloor, above and on the walls as it will be cold in there without.
Consider making a seperate walled off (with door) utility room so youngun is not tempted to play with the utilities.
While doing it add ethernet too.

Utilities are all inbuilt into kitchen (washing machine/dishwasher/larder fridge), have a seperate downstairs toilet.

Do they raise the floor with a wood frame backed with insulation? Would prefer not to raise concrete level.

Utilities are all inbuilt into kitchen (washing machine/dishwasher/larder fridge), have a seperate downstairs toilet.

Do they raise the floor with a wood frame backed with insulation? Would prefer not to raise concrete level.

If your putting a chest freezer in there then you MUST make it so a child cannot play with/on/in it.

If your putting a chest freezer in there then you MUST make it so a child cannot play with/on/in it.
He would have no chance to open the lid, its a top lid and way too high for him to lift.

No matter what you do, it will always be colder than the house. Do as much insulation and energy best practices as you can from the start.
For the floor, if you are doing a suspended floor, you will need to ventilate it and this can be challenging to keep the floor from being chilled or draughty. Don't be tempted to go cheap with the floor. Time moves quickly and the playroom will quickly become something else that won't be used if its cold. WFH is only going to increase in the future so a warm. Well laid out office space will be a big plus.

A converted garage is great and very usable but only if done right. You might need to check planning as well.

If i could do mine again, i would have spent double on the floor construction.
That said, it is a constantly used and valuable space in our home.

No matter what you do, it will always be colder than the house. Do as much insulation and energy best practices as you can from the start.
For the floor, if you are doing a suspended floor, you will need to ventilate it and this can be challenging to keep the floor from being chilled or draughty. Don't be tempted to go cheap with the floor. Time moves quickly and the playroom will quickly become something else that won't be used if its cold. WFH is only going to increase in the future so a warm. Well laid out office space will be a big plus.

A converted garage is great and very usable but only if done right. You might need to check planning as well.

If i could do mine again, i would have spent double on the floor construction.
That said, it is a constantly used and valuable space in our home.
Is yours a single 5m x 2.2m garage?

With regards to the insulation it should be as warm as the rest of my house surely with it being integral?

Half of the garage has a bedroom on top of it, the other half is a sloping roof. The garage already has a plasterboarded ceiling for some reason. The only external wall of the garage is the same wall as the side of my house and its double skin (breezeblock and brick) with cavity wall insulation in it.

Is yours a single 5m x 2.2m garage?

With regards to the insulation it should be as warm as the rest of my house surely with it being integral?

Half of the garage has a bedroom on top of it, the other half is a sloping roof. The garage already has a plasterboarded ceiling for some reason. The only external wall of the garage is the same wall as the side of my house and its double skin (breezeblock and brick) with cavity wall insulation in it.

Yes. My garage is the length of the house. I've it partitioned into two spaces.

The garage only shares on wall with the house so heat gain is almost nothing.

Does your garage not have a gable end? Is this a townhouse?

Yes. My garage is the length of the house. I've it partitioned into two spaces.

The garage only shares on wall with the house so heat gain is almost nothing.

Does your garage not have a gable end? Is this a townhouse?

Detatched house, garage shares external wall with house, bedroom directly on top of half the garage and the other half sticks out further and shares internal wall with hallway.

The width will reduce by around 100mm by the time it's insulated and boarded. The floor can be raised to be level with the house floor.

Get local quotes. You're looking around £8k +/- £3k

The width will reduce by around 100mm by the time it's insulated and boarded. The floor can be raised to be level with the house floor.

Get local quotes. You're looking around £8k +/- £3k
Thank you that seems reasonable.

I think the width is 2.35m atm so 2.2 is after conversion and there is only one external wall (apart from the garage door into a wall and window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back