garage conversion HELP please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are converting our integral garage into a bedroom. It has a flat roof - what thickness and type of insulation should we use between the joists. They are 150mm deep and if my research is right we have to leave a 50mm space between roof and the start of the insulation. I hope this makes sense to someone. Please help!

Sponsored Links
you will need to full fill with a foam board type insulation i.e. celotex or kingspan. the tighter the fit the better.

you can then board with foil back boards and skim.

otherwise you will need to strip off the existing roof cover and either 'warm deck' the roof or use conventional mineral or glass fibre insulation and vent the space with mushroom vents.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again

It says 100mm but then says 35mm under drawn - what does under drawn mean. Sorry to be such a dumbo.

the underdraw is fitted across the timbers (as you would a plasterboard). you then fix the plasterboards on top of the insulation board using elongated fixings to do so.

As you'll have to deal with your BCo sooner or later why not take this opportunity to get his advice now? He/She'll tell you all you need to know (well, almost)

We are converting our integral garage into a bedroom. It has a flat roof - what thickness and type of insulation should we use between the joists. They are 150mm deep and if my research is right we have to leave a 50mm space between roof and the start of the insulation. I hope this makes sense to someone. Please help!

i have just re-read your post. is it integral or does it have a roof? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back