Garage conversion quote.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any builders who can tell me if this quote seems a bit excessive? The guys come reccomended and i never go for the cheapest option but i just feel its a bit excessive.

Fully integral garage, fuseboard in there, main radiator on the opposite wall so plumbing relatively simple, ceiling already insulated.

Work required:

- Brick up garage door halfway with a window on the top half and some render over the brick.

- Replacing current external side door to outside with a half brick wall and a window.

- Dot and dab plasterboard onto all walls. (Cavity wall insulated already).

- Raise floor with timber frame and insulate to match remainder of house floor.

- Add some sockets, add a radiator and plumb it in.

- Remove waste.

Ive been told the job will take a week and is straight forward, quote was 7.9K.

Sponsored Links
Is building regs compliance in with that quote?

One week? :unsure:
No thats an additional £400 from the council.

North of england if that makes any difference.

One week yes, its literally bricking up 2 walls and window fitting plus floor raising and some minor electric/plumbing work, not really a big job?

Take over a week for dot and dab to dry.
Hum
Reminds me of tom hanks film. The money pit.
Re quote.
Get a few in.
Also watch the gosforth handyman on YouTube regarding building quotes and how to find a builder

Sponsored Links
I meant does the quote include the work complying with building regulations? Not, "oh the inspector wants it done differently, that's more money please".

Take over a week for dot and dab to dry.
Hum
Reminds me of tom hanks film. The money pit.
Re quote.
Get a few in.
Also watch the gosforth handyman on YouTube regarding building quotes and how to find a builder
Yes i know, the work will still be completed within 7 days of labour though...... plastering will be last or close to last.

How will dot and dab comply with L1b? Thermal insulation.

And you've not mentioned the roof/ceiling. Is it internal?

If there was 3 guys at £200 a day x 7 plus materials =

2 guys at £250 plus labourer for 7 days would be more like it.
Electrician. Plumber.
You can reverse engineer the price yourself with a bit of research

How will dot and dab comply with L1b? Thermal insulation.

And you've not mentioned the roof/ceiling. Is it internal?
The garage is fully integral, the external wall is part of the whole house and therefore has cavity wall insulation in it. Dot and dab on the cavity wall is what the rest of the house has

Yes ceiling is already plasterboarded as there is a bedroom above it.

If the work is as minimal as you believe then I suspect the quote is a couple of thousand more than normal.

You really need to compare several like for like quotes. Not several quotes where the builder is quoting for different specifications.

Never going with the cheapest, is a flawed philosophy. If all the builders are quoting for exactly the same thing, to exactly the same specification and conditions as they should be, then the cheapest should be chosen. There is no value or reason to pick higher quotes.

Unless the house was built in the last two years, the existing walls won't comply with current thermal requirements.

If the work is as minimal as you believe then I suspect the quote is a couple of thousand more than normal.

You really need to compare several like for like quotes. Not several quotes where the builder is quoting for different specifications.

Never going with the cheapest, is a flawed philosophy. If all the builders are quoting for exactly the same thing, to exactly the same specification and conditions as they should be, then the cheapest should be chosen. There is no value or reason to pick higher quotes.

Unless the house was built in the last two years, the existing walls won't comply with current thermal requirements.
Even if its had the cavity wall insulation done?

So ill need 100mm insulation on a double skinned cavity wall insulated wall?

I havent seen any new builds do this? They are all dot and dab.....

In reality the worst will be 4 sheets insulated plasterboard on the external wall instead of just plan plasterboard. The front ex garage door can just be built to spec. Unfortunately the transition period is over for buildings control is over and you need to build to current regs...but in all honesty its not difficult or expensive.

There is always the alternative... just do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back