Garage conversion suspended floor level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is my first post so please be gentle. Am doing a garage conversion but I've suddenly realised the plans (and apparently the building regs) mean there will be a 4-inch step up into the new room from the house! This is obviously not great - I had just assumed it would be level access. Basically the garage floor is 9inches below the house floor, but with 6inch joists, 6inch sub-joist ventilation (apparently required), and about 1.5inches of flooring, things are not good!

Solutions I have toyed with:
a. Asking the BCO if he's prepared to interpret the 6-inch ventilation rule liberally (hmmm - optimistic?)
b. using a sleeper wall with a DPC in it to give a smaller joist span and so allow me to use 4inch joists (although I do actually already have all the timber and hangers, so that would mean returning them - a pain, and that only gets me 2 inches)
c. putting a membrane under the timber in the hope that may alleviate the need for the ventilation. (if this were possible why is't it clear in the regs; then again, if you can lay timber on the concrete floor which some people seem to think is OK, then why not?)

Can anybody help? I've already started the project (concrete arriving 8am tomorrow!), so in a bit of a fix

Sponsored Links
You wont get round BCO with no ventilation on a timber floor I am afraid. I would seriously consider Noseall's advice ;)

Amazingly enough the BCO was quite happy. I explained the problem on the phone, and he said as long as there was an inch or two he'd be OK. Then worried because the inspector who came around was a differrent one. But he too was absolutely fine. Phew!

Sponsored Links
Hi,
If the conversion is permenant I too would have thought concrete / screed is the best way forward. Hope you get the same bco to sign off after completion of the whole project. I just got my floor down a while back :)
KS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back