Garage Conversion to a Creche...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to convert our detached garage into a small creche for my wife to continue her profession but more on her terms. See picture link below:

//www.diynot.com/network/PJQ1978/albums/

I want to be building regs and planning compliant of course and I'm just wondering whether I shall create a supply electric and water supply and have a "rear of" account with utility suppliers or tap from our existing 4 bedroom terrace house.

The property is a 4 bed terrace with a combi boiler so my guessing is that water supply will be a strain? It has an electric supply from the main house (not sure on capacity but say 20amps - 4 double gangs at the moment) and would like to put in an air source heat pump near the end of the garden.

To complicate matters further, I want to level the garden (and appreciate a hump / ridge will be required to accommodate the foul sewer that runs through it as shown). Leveling the the rear ground floor would also enable for a basement room under the existing garage ground floor.

I guess an architect technician would be my first port of call...[/url]

Sponsored Links
Planning office would be my first port of call: your garage is currently on land in the C3 use class. To turn it into a creche it needs to be D1, and there's no permitted development conversion from C3 to D1

Not necessarily cjard, if the property will remain predominantly as a home (which it sounds like it will) then its not a black and white decision. I believe it will be at the Council's discretion and of course the cynical amongst us know that that means they will probably expect an application to be submitted. But it is not an automatic decision, I don't think there is even any legislation for this.

I'm assuming the OP's missus will not be employing any other childminders of course, if that's not the case then obviously that changes things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back