Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm about to start work on converting my garage into a living space. I will start ordering the materials once the new electric roller door is fitted on monday.

I have read loads of posts on here and picked up pretty much everything i now know as I'm a complete DIY novice...

I just wanted to post my plans and ask a few questions before I get started.

As advised by the Building Officer I am going to use 3 coats of liquid DPM on the external walls and a damp proof sheet on the floor (there is already a damp course under the concrete which is visible in a few areas) - would it be possible to use the liquid DPM on the floor aswell and is the stuff from Wickes sufficient for my needs?

My original plan was to use 6x2 timber on the floor with 100mm celotex inbetween and 22mm chipboard on top which will bring it level with rest of the house. But I am now thing of not bothering with the 6x2's and doing a floating floor instead with more insulation to bring it level - I'm not too sure on the pro's and con's of each method though.

I was then going to timber frame the external walls and build a stud wall about 3-4 feet infront of the garage door using 4x2 with 100mm celotex inbetween.

And finally I would plasterboard the walls and ceiling with 300mm fibrewool insulation in the ceiling.

I'm not sure in what order I should be doing all this so any advice on that and the above questions would be awesome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back