Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Newbie to the forum.

I have a dilema... I need an extra bedroom ASAP as I will be having my brothers 2 children living with me shortly.

I need to find out roughly how much it would cost to convert a single garage into a liveable space. I need the front bricked up, a window added, a doorway created from the porch into the garage and usual lights, electric sockets. Nothing fancy. Can anyone give me a rough estimate? Is it likely to exceed £3000?

Thanks

PS. I should add that the garage measures about 9ft x 18ft.

Sponsored Links
You will almost certainly need PP (due to change of use) + it’s also going to be a habitable space so you will need to bring the insulation of the walls & roof up to current standard. You will also need to notify BC of proposed new door opening (they will want to inspect the lintel installation) & possibly the new electrical work; & depending on circumstance, this may be subject to part P legislation (restriction!). Considering the above, £3k may be on the light side, depending on how much of the work you can do yourself. Oh, & you will probably increase your council tax bill by adding another bedroom!

it is unlikely you will need planning permission as change of usage refers to changes from dwelling to business or annexing a granny flat or separate dwelling (creating two addresses on one plot).

so long as the frontage remains in keeping with the rest of the house you will not have any problems.

but, as Richard C has said, you will need building reg's.

you need to increase your budget by at least £2000, and don't forget you still need to decorate and furnish the space.

noseall said:
it is unlikely you will need planning permission as change of usage refers to changes from dwelling to business or annexing a granny flat or separate dwelling (creating two addresses on one plot).
Interesting; I thought this also applied to conversions (garage, loft etc)! But won't PP apply if there is a change to the outside appearance of the property (garage door to window) particularly at the front? I certainly had to apply when I moved some existing windows at the back & introduced 2 new ones to the front of my property; I also got neighbour objections but it was still passed anyway!

Sponsored Links
I need this done as quickly anc cheaply as possible. I have been asked to foster 2 of my brothers children for 6-12 months but I dont have the room. If I cannot take them they will be placed in care. I will not see that happen if I can help it.

yeah Richard, it's not the change of usage but the external appearance changes that will be more relevant.

p.s. i did say unlikely. it would be worth an enquiry any how.

Purdy_1 said:
I need this done as quickly anc cheaply as possible. I have been asked to foster 2 of my brothers children for 6-12 months but I dont have the room. If I cannot take them they will be placed in care. I will not see that happen if I can help it.
A very noble cause indeed but I would think it’s even more important that you follow correct procedure; I don’t know but I assume the relevant authorities controlling fostering of children will want to check out the living accommodation being used!

Richard C said:
Purdy_1 said:
A very noble cause indeed but I would think it’s even more important that you follow correct procedure; I don’t know but I assume the relevant authorities controlling fostering of children will want to check out the living accommodation being used!

It would be my 13yr old son that has the garage as his bedroom. His bedroom will then be used for my neice and nephew.

How quickly does planning permision come through once applied for?

Planning consent would not normally be required for replacing a garage door with a window. However, it takes a maximum 8 weeks for a decision from the time of application

The only times it may be needed are if there are conditions on the original house planning permission (normally new houses), or in a conservation area, or a listed building.

There is no change of use - a domestic building is still in the same 'use class' regardless of the function of each room.

Also check your house deeds, as there may be a covenant or easement relating to converting. Building regulation approval would be needed, but go the building notice route as you don't need the expense of preparing plans

A normal garage conversion would be around the £5-6K mark. But get quotes from those experienced in this work, as there are many ways to do the work and you don't want to pay more for 'over specification' of the work

[/quote]

It would be my 13yr old son that has the garage as his bedroom. His bedroom will then be used for my neice and nephew.

How quickly does planning permision come through once applied for?[/quote]

Again, I have no experience here but logic tells me it probably won't make any difference who is actually using the ex garage as a bedroom! I would work on the assumption they will count the heads living in the property & want to know who is sleeping where. If you don’t have suitable accommodation to sleep everyone, they will probably frown just as much on your kids sleeping in a garage as your brothers children who you are hoping to foster!

PP can go through on the nod if all is OK & there are no neighbor objections in around 4 weeks; if there are objections it can take up to12 weeks or longer (as mine did), depending on when you submit you application; they PP committee sit once a month so if you just miss one you have to wait till the next meeting!

However, it may be worth knowing that the law states that you can start work on anything as soon as you submit an application; that’s how “travelers” build on their sites without legal intervention! They submit an application on Friday afternoon, work around the clock & have the whole lot up by Monday morning, by which time any prohibition notice the council serve won’t have any real effect as everything is already built! But you will have to pull it all down again (eventually) if you don’t get the necessary approval! But just make sure you stick to all the building regs.

Sorry my last post was wrong regarding how long it takes to get PP; a site notice has to be displayed for a minimum of 6 weeks (I don’t know why I said 4!) outside the property & the planning dept are supposed to give a decision within 8 weeks or you can appeal for non determination.

Hi,

I'm about to start the conversion of my garage, although not into a bedroom. Planning permission was not formally required but it was a change of use to an office, a bedroom is a different matter as things like insulation may need increasing etc..

contact your local council and ask, ours while slow in responding have been quite helpful, although i never seem to be able to speak to the same person twice!!

As far as your buget goes, mine is about 7k and it is a standard size garage, but wiring, plumbing etc all add up burglar alarm box to be relocated as its in the way of the new doorway and so on. I intend doing quite a bit of the labouring myself yet i don't expect to see much change from my budget.

Cheers

Hi there,

A garage conversion is being done down the road where i live. Ive had a look at the council website and found that they have applied for and been given planning permission. Hope this helps?

We had ours done by a professional company and did not need PP, although as stated you will need to check.
Ours was significantly in excess of your budget but we had two rooms created and a change in level from hallway which made the build more tricky and it is well specced. It was well worth doing and could also add value to your house

We used these guys (Chelmsford branch) www.garageconversion.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back