Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to quote on doing a garage conversion to a lounge.
The garage is attaced to the house and would need a door knocking through in hall (lintel etc to install).
the door will be replaced by double skin insulated wall 900mm high then window with "escape windows". ("k" glass)
Floor to have joists insulate between(rocksill)
smoke detectors
Plasterboard wall etc,etc,etc

Does this need planning permission and if so what roughly are costs if they are needed
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will definitely need planning permission. I had a garage conversion done on my freehold property and I still needed planning permission. How long it takes for the council to approve your plans differs from council to council (mine took 18 months). I paid I think:
£400 for the architect
£150 for the councils Planning Dept
and I think I also had to pay the Council's Building Control Dept.

As an aside, My neighbour did a fantastic job drawing up the plans herself for her garage conversion on the computer etc but the council still insisted an architect redo them! But, my council are one of the fussiest.

badhairday said:
You will definitely need planning permission. I had a garage conversion done on my freehold property and I still needed planning permission. How long it takes for the council to approve your plans differs from council to council (mine took 18 months). I paid I think:
£400 for the architect
£150 for the councils Planning Dept
and I think I also had to pay the Council's Building Control Dept.

As an aside, My neighbour did a fantastic job drawing up the plans herself for her garage conversion on the computer etc but the council still insisted an architect redo them! But, my council are one of the fussiest.

I don’t know why your application took so long unless there were unusual circumstances. For straightforward applications &, the council have to either approve or reject your application within 8 weeks of submission or you can appeal against non-determination; unless you agree to an extension of this time. Neither can they insist you use an architect for the application drawings; PP for my 2 extensions, garage & considerable alterations to the property exterior was granted at committee hearing (there were objections) on drawings I produced myself using a computer cad package & A4 printer; I was, however, a draughtsman some years ago so do know how to produce drawings. Using an Architect for an extension is going to cost a fortune, all you need is a good draughtsman or Architectural technician; they usually do all the work on behalf of the Architect anyway.

For Building Control (regs) submission/approval you may need more detail in the drawings (this is separate & after PP) but they still can’t insist you use an architect. The drawings, however, should conform to ISO standards, must be to scale & contain sufficient design information or be accompanied by design notes; mine were still only done on an A4 printer!

Have a look here for PP & BC costs:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1102936772180.ht

Sponsored Links
You are very unlikely to need planning permission for an internal conversion, nor for changing the door to a window.

The only time you should need PP, is when there is an existing condition on the property (part of the original PP) requiring the garage to remain as a garage, or if in conservation areas etc, or if listed.

Even extenal extensions will likely be done under permitted development rights, so again a formal application is not required if you still have your PD allowance/rights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back