Garage convertion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm looking to convert my integral garage in to habitable space.

Does anyone know if I'll need planning permission for the change of appearance to the front of the house i.e. timber garage doors will be replaced with brick infill and window?

I assume I'll have to dig up the existing garage floor slab and lay some sort of insulation before re concreting and screeding to match existing habitable level. Does anyone know exactly what i'd need to do i.e. the amount i'd need to excavate and what it would need to be replaced with i.e. 100mm mot then some sort of insulation then concrete then screed???

The last thing is, will the existing garage cavity walls need to be insulated in some way?

The new room will be used as a kitchen/diner.

Many thanks to anyone helping with the answer's to these queries.

Sponsored Links
Yes you'll need Planning Approval as your changing the appearance of the dwelling externally.

In terms of your other queries, they would be dealt with in a Building Control submission (or via a Building Notice). As your upgrading the area to a habitable space, it's suject to all the insulation requirements in the floor and walls etc.

I stand corrected Richard C.

Would've thought you need something in black + white tho confirming it's ok......live + learn I guess !!!

Sponsored Links
Answer following questions, and will give answers.

Is garage floor level ?
Is garage floor sloped from back to front?
If level, height of garage floor below house floor.
If garage floor sloped, height of garage floor at back below house floor and ditto at front.
Eye it round with DPC.
Internal area of garage?
Length of external walls, (i.e. front and flank?).

Walls. Do you know cavity width? Are they insulated?
oldun

Would've thought you need something in black + white tho confirming it's ok......live + learn I guess !!!

Normally by way of a Lawful Development Certificate. A clients' decision. If I was the acting agent, it's something I'd recommend. Saves a lot of time and money dealing with it now than later.

Hi theoldun

Garage slopes from back to front, about 1/2" below house level at back and approx 2" below at front. Length 5700 Width 2450.

Flank is a cavity wall approx 280mm thick, no insulation as far as i'm aware.

Thanks in advance.

Normally by way of a Lawful Development Certificate. A clients' decision. If I was the acting agent, it's something I'd recommend. Saves a lot of time and money dealing with it now than later.

Oh no! Not that old chestnut again.

If it's PD, its PD and no need for any LDC. Otherwise, why not just scrap the whole PD regime and have everyone apply for all building work?

If I was the clients agent, I'd make sure that I was giving correct advice, and have done diligent checks to enable me to advise my client with 100% certainty that it was PD and my advice would include not to waste his money applying for a LDC when one was not needed

I guess we have to agree to differ then woody, I would always prefer something in black + white. I understand your point of view, but I guess that's why they have the Cert. of Lawful Development.....it can be used for those who prefer it in black + white also.

And on the garage conversion being under PD.... c'mon where all allowed the odd mistake. I havn't actually done a garage conversion before, therefore presumed PP would be needed.

Live + learn like I said, that's the advantage of this forum........where all learning ;)

diligent checks to enable me to advise my client with 100% certainty that it was PD

99% of the LPA's I deal with would not confirm if works are PD without submitting a CoL. This is the reason why the CoL system is in place.

Its up to you, as the planning agent to know if the works are PD or not and not for the planning authority. That is what you are being employed for .. your expertise

It's like taking your car to the garage to be fixed and the mechanic saying" I dunno what's wrong, I need to ask someone else" In which case you may as well go to that "someone else" yourself

The LDC scheme is in place to enable existing development to be approved (ie retrospective approval) or use to be decided. In general terms the LDC is used to determine "lawfulness" of development or use other than PD, and not whether something is PD or not

It defeats the whole purpose of PD if you keep going back to the planners to apply for a LDC.

And the planners are prevented from giving you specific opinion on planning matters unless you make a relevant application to get a formal opinion. So yes you may be correct in saying that 99% of planners wont tell you what is PD, but that should not be confused with, or interpreted as, meaning that you have to apply for a LDC.

You are the expert, you should be able to tell the client in all but the most obscure situation - ie it should be the exception to recommend a LDC rather than the norm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back