Garage door facsia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My garage door facsia needs replacing , but I've been told the wood goes underneath the garage roof which is nailed down to the wood, so you can't take the wood away to replace it without costing a lot of money, is this correct?

207kn55.jpg

would it not be possible to use a chisel and chisel the wood away below the flat roof then just nail a new part on? just leave the old bit under the flat roof?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could do it your way! though better job if the aprons are cut away new fascias installed, then nice new trims.

You could do it your way! though better job if the aprons are cut away new fascias installed, then nice new trims.

Thanks for your reply, what do you mean by cut the apron strings? how do I do that?

thanks

the aprons are attached to the top of the fascia board then folded over onto the flat roof.
the aprons can be cut off to allow the removal of the complete fascia board.
when you have replaced the fascia the cap sheet aprons can be replaced.

or use one of these for a neat finish.

Sponsored Links
so where do I have to cut to get the wood out? underneath the flat roof, i'm not sure what you mean :confused:

im not a roofer so ignor my suggestion untill someone in the know corrects me or agrees.

Could you not heat the roofing and then pull it back up at the edge and then cut the wood away under and then fit a new strip of timber, then reheat roofing back in place?

I think if you are careful you should be able to separate the felt overlap (welt)from the fascia board by using a crowbar or the claw of the hammer.

As long as the felt is newish it should flex enough to allow you to do this.

You should end up with a row of nails sticking out through the back of the felt.

Remove the fascia and replace with upvc 15mm, make sure its nice and solid.

Then put a bead of adehesive such as gripfill onto the back of the felt overlap.

Push the felt back tight to the fascia board and hit the nails that are sticking out of the back of the felt back into the new fascia board by hitting the front of the felt.

Should go straight back into place and stay there , done it a few times before and the whole fascia gets replaced and not just part of it .

The felt you can see is whats known as a "welted verge" the ones behind your gutter are "welted drips" it will either be nailed into you fascia board or fixed with bitumin.You to remove this,most roofers use a stripping shovel which is just a regualr shovel(small gardening one).Just run dig into the verge and using your fascia as a guide slide along cutting the felt.It will easily come off and the shovel will cut the felt neatly but dont do this on a hot day.You can then replace the fascia, you then need to replace the drip. ;)

I would be inclined to try regency's idea first, you could always cut the drips off later if it got messed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back