Garage Door Frame Rotten?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into my first home!

We've got a up and over garage door. The garage door arm has come off the wooden frame on one side. I have reinserted and tightened the two bolts but it has come straight off again. I assume this means the frame is rotten and bolts have lost their grip?

Considering we want to convert the garage to a room in the next few years, should I:
  • Cut the piece of the frame out and replace?
  • Replace the entire vertical length of the frame?
  • Use some sort of plate so I can reattach the bolts a few inches away but have the arm in the original place?

Here is a picture of the holes

FullSizeRender.jpg

More pictures.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg IMG_1312.JPG

Any help or advice really appreciated

Sponsored Links
The frame does look past its best, but why not just use nuts and bolts after drilling straight through the frame? Maybe last longer than you think!
John :)

Thanks John, Because the existing holes are knackered and I assume the arm has to be fixed back where it was whats the easiest way to reattach the arm?

If you drill right through the frame, where the two existing screw holes are, you can fix the bracket back on with two threaded nuts and bolts.....for example, roofing bolts can be 75mm long, and they have a 6mm thread and come complete with a square nut. With a couple of large penny washers on either side you'll get a good fixing so long as the timber isn't actually crumbling away. A 6.5mm drill would be perfect for these, and Wickes have what you need.
Roofing bolts have a large head anyway which are slotted to take a normal screwdriver.
PS and edit - the Wickes product code is 510749.

Sponsored Links
If the frame wont have it because its rotten or whatever then you could splice in a piece at the top or, given that stiles usually rot at the bottom, then replace the whole leg with a similar section, pre-painted new stile.
Drill and plug to fix the stile.

Most welcome Adam - always keep the door brackets in their original position because shifting them around will give all sorts of issues. What we have suggested will keep you going until you decide what to do with your new place.
Be lucky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back