garage door not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gents

I have a problem with a electric garage door which will not open with or without a key fob it makes the right noises but nothing happens.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't help directly, never worked on them.

But it might help if you at least gave the make/model of system ?

General suggestions, not specific to garage door openers ...
Check the manual and see if there are any overload devices that might need manual reset. Other than that, it might mean taking the cover off to see what is/isn't moving in the mechanism.
Switch off (and if possible, lock off*) the power (it should have an isolator in the supply) before removing the cover, and keep hands (and other body parts) well away when you switch it back on. When you've had a look, switch off before attempting to fix/adjust anything or replace the cover.

* That means, use a padlock or similar to lock the switch in the off position so that no-one else can turn it on, and keep the key in your pocket.

Hi simon

Thanks for your reply these are the numbers i have found on the key fob (PDT KF04-433RC)
but no model on the controller unit.

Sponsored Links
From your initial post, I'm assuming it's got local buttons to operate it in addition to the keyfob, and these buttons make it "make the right noises" but it doesn't move the door. Is this correct ?

On almost every "up and over" door actuator I have seen there has been a release mechanism that disconnects the actuator from the door to allow the door to be opened or closed when the actuator fails or there is a power cut. They are essential if the door is the only way in or out of the garage and if installed properly are usually in some way linked to a key on or adjacent to the door.

Check that this release mechanism has not been operated.

something mechanical is broken. If it's making the right noises then either where the arm attaches to the door is broken or where the pinion meets the pulley.

when my dad had a battery operated door fitted he couldn't get it open with the handle on a flat battery

after jiggling about with the bolt on the floor and a bit off wire against the the curved edge got it open

the bottom bolt had no connection or place to fix anything between the top off the actuator [motor]lifting the bolt and handle so would never open on the handle
i just used a coat hanger drilled a hole in the plastic and it lived that way for years

as an aside when the battery failed they wanted £189 for a new pack i opened the pack up and replaced the battery for the grand total off £12 :eek:

Hi BIG all

Thanks for your reply I have the same key fobs that you have attached the link, I have taken the cover off and found the strip that is attached to the up and down buttons on the cover is broken ,could any one find any instructions pls

never seen inside one

are you saying the printed circuit board is broken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back