Garage door paint second coat prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I painted my garage door before it got colder and haven't had time/weather to paint the second coat yet. I used Hammerite garage door paint. When I come to paint the next coat do I just wash it down and paint it or do I need to sand it slightly to make it stick?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the tin says, or how long exactly ago you did the first coat, but personally I would give it a light sanding all over to be sure that the new paint will stick.

The tin assumes you will paint the second coat the next day. It will be over a month but the Hammerite paint tends to stay quite soft for a long time especially in thicker areas. I guess I will try sanding an inconspicuous area and see how it goes.

Only a month? Not that long then.

I thought Hammerite products had more detail on the tin about second coats, obviously not then.

Sponsored Links
I contacted Hammerite and they confirmed to abrade slightly before the next coat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back