Garage door suggestions - alternative to up-n-over ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two properties which still have their original up-n-over doors from the mid 90s. Apart from showing their age (rust, worn pins & rollers, etc.), one seems to have a penchant for eating springs. I have had a local installer come and have a look - and he's quoted for replacement up-n-over doors.
TBH, I don't really like them too much, and I'd prefer something else - either "traditional" side hinged wooden doors, or a roller. The guy that came and had a look said the only rollers he could do were electric, but I didn't get out of him whether that was due to "what he fits" or "what's actually possible".
The main issue is that the doors fit between two parallel walls, so there can't be anything such as tracks, roller shafts, etc, wider than the opening in the blockwork. Hopefully the photos should make it clear - sorry they aren't the best, but they happen to be what I have to hand. You can possibly make out that the top of the opening is a beam, with a space that's around 9" high from their to the ceiling - I was sort of hoping that perhaps a roller might be able to disappear into that space when open and give a better opening (I can bang me head on the current door :rolleyes:).
Oh yes, there aren't any other ways in/out, nor would it be practical to add one. And I don't have any ambitions of ever being able to get the Land Rover in - not without fitting smaller wheels & tyres :cry:
door1.jpeg

door2.jpeg

door3.jpeg

Sponsored Links
In the first picture what's on the other side of the opening? A flat wall?
An elctric roller door should be able to be fitted above the height of the opening.
Alternatively you could get one fitted on the outside wall along with the roller guides etc. I believe mine is about 300mm high ‘ish.

Lots of companies do them, using basically the same components, so shop around. Expect about £800 to £1500 depending on which you go for.
Roller doors are “made to measure” in as much as they can be tailored to fit the specific opening.

In the first picture, on the left you can see the internal wall that divides my garage from the store (not mine) behind that gate style door. The wall is roughly in line with the position of the door track.
So I suppose it would be possible to cut a hole for a mechanism to stick through.
Not really wanting electric - seems to me to be more to go wrong.

The near end of the wall in the foreground is supporting the beam that's in turn supporting the block and beam floor (beams run front to back), and I don't think the lintle above the door is supporting more than a few rows of bricks.

EDIT: that wall is single block except the near end where it's a double block pier to support the floor above.
Thinking ahead, I'm hoping to relocate the boiler onto it where it's flue would clash with a roller door mechanism which went through the wall.

Last edited:
When i looked into this for my garage doors, and wanted the roller type, A couple of fitters actually recommended against them (even though they made more profit apparently - £400 more expensive), mainly because of the wind we get from the sea. They said they did different slate sizes , but would not recommend nor guarantee for the 10years, i think it was, because we are 0.5km from the sea , slightly raised and all bungalows between us and sea , to be honest the wind is quite bad , and when they fitted one of the up/over doors, because it was not electric and only locked at the bottom - it actually pivoted from the bottom and blew out of the flimsy plastic retaining guides - now replaced for metal with a felt cover ....

just something to consider

My son-in-law has 2 roller doors and they are great and work really well, water tight and keep the garage dry, workshop in one of the garages

Sponsored Links
Oh yes, I've been quoted a little over £1k for a new Garador up-n-over door.

Oh yes, I've been quoted a little over £1k for a new Garador up-n-over door.
yep, i was quoted £1,095 in 2019 for a Garador Horizon Garage Door, supplied and fitted, and old removed and taken away
in the end we got a Hormann Door , no reason apart from, wife wanted it to exactly match the one we already had.

Definitely consider a roller door, they do not require clear space in front and behind the door when opening or closing the door,

Have to admit, I do kinda fancy a manual roller door - if one can be made to fit without space either side for "the gubbins".
Alternatively, a pair of side-hinged wooden doors.
Any suggestions how I find someone reputable to ask ? I only know one person who's had a door replaced, and that fitter only offered another up-n-over or an electric roller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back