Garage door with flapping pelmet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an one of these garage doors and am experiencing an issue where the "pelmet" section flaps around when its windy causing significant noise.

upload_2020-2-17_15-22-27.png

The section with the red star is what flaps in the wind and causes the noise. Wind is getting under this and causing the vibrations against the door. The pelmet seems to be a metal material.

Can anyone suggest how this could be rectified please.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
But how would I get behind that section?
The garage door stops below that.

Attachments

• DBFC26D1-8E65-4416-B317-9B8B9800B055.jpeg
    DBFC26D1-8E65-4416-B317-9B8B9800B055.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 223
Sponsored Links
Thanks @SFK
There’s a lot of profiles on that link and I’m unclear on which one you are suggesting.
My man concern would be the rigidity of any such solution along with its aesthetics if this is going on to the outside of the pelmet section. Thanks again

Hey @SFK,
This may be a problem on my end but the recent link takes me to a selection of light switches with a few profiles at the bottom of the page. Can you point me to the type of thing you are suggesting please?

Thanks for your help.

Jupiter,
Note that I am simply suggesting lengths of L shaped white PVC strips.
On wickes page do a search for:

"Wickes Angle PVCu" for many items

If still not working I liked the look of the ones with Product codes:
or

SFK

Last edited:
Got ya.
The descriptions suggest "light" and "flexible". I am dubious whether they would add any rigidity to the existing metal pelmet...

If I have understood you correctly, you are suggesting that I fit this angle into where the green arrow is pointing:

upload_2020-3-2_14-44-42.png

It's the bottom section of this that is flapping around.

Although Jupiter - reading your problem again (on a big screen) I think I missread it before as I thought issue was that top section of plemet was moving.
You are actually saying bottom section is bouncing against door like a flute.
No idea how to fix that.

Last edited:
Exactly that.
It's the bottom part which is hitting the door and causing all the noise. It does have some foam underneath. May be it needs topping up...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi Jupiter01
Did you manage to solve this? I have got exactly the same problem.

No. There were a few interesting suggestions above but I've not yet got around to it. Do let me know if you manage to fix it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back