Garage door with flapping pelmet

I have the same problem though I didn't know what was making the racket until I saw this post (so thank you for that).
I do believe I have solved it.

As above, the flappy bit is the bottom of the pelmet but the noise, from mine, emanates from the top (where green arrow is) when the wind blows.
The flappy bit of the pelmet, flaps and causes the the top bit to bang against the frame.
It needs to remain flexible though, otherwise it stops the door slats from rolling up.

A few clear stick on silicone kitchen cupboard door buffers (sound dampeners) fixed along the pelmet at the top, appears to have done the trick.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem though I didn't know what was making the racket until I saw this post (so thank you for that).
I do believe I have solved it.

As above, the flappy bit is the bottom of the pelmet but the noise, from mine, emanates from the top (where green arrow is) when the wind blows.
The flappy bit of the pelmet, flaps and causes the the top bit to bang against the frame.
It needs to remain flexible though, otherwise it stops the door slats from rolling up.

A few clear stick on silicone kitchen cupboard door buffers (sound dampeners) fixed along the pelmet at the top, appears to have done the trick.
This sounds like a real breakthrough. Would you mind posting some pictures please? Mine is still making a racket!

Apologies @Jupiter01 .

I've certainly fixed the noise with the above but a photo is beyond me!
I don't have enough hands to illuminate the area, hold the pelmet back to show the gap where the strips are stuck and hold a phone - all while up a ladder.
I'm a woman of a certain age!

The stick on silicone strips are translucent also, so won't show up well on a photo.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Apologies @Jupiter01 .

I've certainly fixed the noise with the above but a photo is beyond me!
I don't have enough hands to illuminate the area, hold the pelmet back to show the gap where the strips are stuck and hold a phone - all while up a ladder.
I'm a woman of a certain age!

The stick on silicone strips are translucent also, so won't show up well on a photo.

Good luck.
Is this still holding up as a permanent solution?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back