Garage Extension planning needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am thinking of a garage extension as the current one is 16ft long which is a little short. I

live in a semi-detached house where the single garage is joined to next doors single garage. The current rear wall of the garage is set back from the rear wall of the house and I wish to extend to inline with the rear wall of the house.
The extension will be single story and probably flat roof.
I have already spoke to my neighbours and so far they seem ok with the idea.
Excuse my poor drawing, but hopefully it will give you a better idea.

I have a few questions.
Am I allowed to build on the fence boundary line? (i own the fence).
Do I need planning as it will be building on the boundary? I guess I will need BC as it will be attached to the house and the footings will be close to the house footings. But not sure.

Any help appreciated. I am ok with the hands on stuff and will be trying to do most of this myself. Just not good with the planning side.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You may or may not need planning permission depending on the height although more than likely not. It must meet the criteria here or PP will be required http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

Yes Building Regs is mandatory as it is attached.

You can build your wall and anything above it up to but not beyond the boundary line irrelevant as to where the fence is (so no overhanging fascias or roof trims or gutters etc). Bizarrely though you can build your foundations over the boundary line under the Party Wall Act. Though if it were me and I wanted to keep friendly with my neighbours I would set it back say 6" to allow for the foundation edge or use an eccentric foundation.

Thanks freddymercurystwin.
The extension would be single story and so no more than the original garage eaves height, around 2.6m, with a flat roof would be easiest.

I would like to build the wall on the same line as the fence is to keep the width of the garage if possible. Although for the sake of 6" and keeping them happy may be worth it.
I get on really well with the neighbours and have mentioned to them that I would like to extend the garage and they seem ok with this and mentioned they may even wish to do the same.

Obviously I do not wish to upset them in anyway, but will see if they will mind me building it on the same line as the fence, which I also believe to be the boundary line from the land reg docs I have.

The only thing that worries me is if or when I come to sell the property. Would I be better to have PP anyway as I believe this would then be on the deeds. Or would the solicitors not worry about it even if the permitted development rights changed?

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back