Garage Floor and Dampness

L33

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am after some advice as I have just had my garage refurbished with a new roof, door, windows, etc as the plan is to turn it into a gym.

The floor is concrete and the walls being boarded inside.

However, there seems to be damp coming through the walls & the floor is quite damp with small pools of water of which is coming from the ground because there are no leaks in the roof.

I was told by our builder that you can purchase some kind of rubberised paint to use as a sealant.

Does anyone have any idea what this is called and where I can get it?

Thanks.
Lee.

Sponsored Links
If you've got ground water rising and forming pools on the floor then none of the rubberised paints will solve it

I'm gonna try the rubberized paint first to see what kind of effect it has.

Which is the best one to use?

none of them - they won't adhere to a floor as wet as you've described.

If you have water rising through the slab then the 'paint' will simply be forced off the slab surface

Sponsored Links
As you have said, water is rising through the concrete floor, this means that the water has come from a place HIGHER then the floor, i.e. the garage has been cut into a hillside or such like. The best attempt I can think of, is to surround the garage with a french drain which drains into a sloping land drain away from the garage to encourage the water to go somewhere else.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back