garage floor paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to paint my concrete garage floor top prevent it continually "dusting" but as its only been down for a month not sure how long I should wait?some paint manafacturers say a month and some say several months,also how necessary is it to apply a sealer prior to painting,I've painted a couple of floors before without sealer with no problems,just wondered if its a bit of old tosh to get some more money out of Joe Public,sealer is nearly the same price as the actual paint! thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
if you don't seal it then you're just painting the "dust"...

sealer glues everything down so even if you do paint the "dust" it's not going anywhere..

could give it a coat of PVA like plasterers do.. maybe..

FYI, I'm an electrician so have no expertise in these things. just lots of opinions... :)

Buy a big tub of PVA from your local wholesaler (anywhere but B and Q as they charge £££ - except to pay about a tenner iirc for a large tub. (5 litres I think it is)

As Coljack says if you dont use sealant it will not be durable in the slightest and will flake and lift.
PVA is essentially the same type of product as they try and sell you with the floor paint. Only cheaper.

I have used it on several large concrete garage floors that I have painted and on several conrete floors prior to self levelling screeding them.
You may need 2 coats to get full coverage and penetration (it basically stops the concrete abosorbing the expensive floor paint you will put down and seals the floor over pre paint)

You would need a strong PVA mix. Consult the back of the tub but I would use a 2 parts water to 1 parts PVA > stir it up well, and give the floor a coat. Wait a few hours till its dry, give it a second coat.

Hope this helps

Personally I have had no joy with garage floor paint, it blisters & peels when wet especially where the car wheels have been, would not use it again, just seal with pva.

Sponsored Links
If you go the PVA route, make sure it is the waterproof variety.

Normal PVA, on prolonged contact with water will degrade and go sticky....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back