Garage footings seem abit excessive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
my first post so be gentle:cool:

I am planning to build a garage, its going be around 38 sq foot so fits into building regulations. Now the garage will be just a concrete sectional one:cool: Had a word with the building regs peeps and they require me to dig 1m deep footings and 600mm wide. Fair enough I will be building on soil but is this excessive? Been told this on 3 separate occasions :cry:

Thanks for your help

Dave

Sponsored Links
Well over the top.

If you're on sandy soils, 600 deep will do; and 450 wide is more than adequate whatever you are on (assuming it's not fill of course).

Golffy
Do you mean a concrete sectional garage pebal dashed on the outside??
I had one built a couple years ago & the contractors dug out & made a 6 or 8 inch concrete raft type base, a very good job it was.
JonB

yep thats the kind of garage, bit miffed that that they have got to be that deep/wide but what can i do?

Sponsored Links
Have you explained to planning exactly what sort it is.
Have the suppliers not a recomendation?
JonB

yes explained what type of garage on 3 occasions, builders who come out cant believe that this is required, neither can garage provider. Apparently its due to frost???????? :rolleyes:

exactly the same foundations what i needed for a single storey extension
1m x 500mm.

I assume you mean 38 square meters - not feet.

There are two ways to do this; you can ask building regs what they want and they will give you the stock answer. That doesn't seem to be working out too well so far. Or you can get a professional to design a foundation for you and tell building regs what you are doing. Cheaper foundation but you will have to pay for the design.

How does the BCO intend you to fill the hole? Foundation blocks and engineering bricks, or poured concrete? If so, I think they're bonkers since this foundation will be sufficient to support a 1 or 2 storey cavity walled building! If there any trees nearby, ask them if they want you to install 5m piles with a steel framework to pour the concrete over :confused:

Well I have contacted the council next to my council and they said I would be ok with a steel raft???

So abit miffed now!!!!!!!!

Looking on the direct gov website, I can either go through the council or an aproved inspector.

Contacted one and they are about £100 more than the council but if it save me the cost of digging to australia or buying tons of concrete, I think that is my best option.

Think if I contacted the council and had it out with them, they would be funny with everything :cry:

Concrete sectional garage -Thought they were classed as non permanent structures . :?: Anyways , back in 80`s we had to go 1 metre deep and wrap a drain with fibreglass to support .......a wooden curtain wall . That was @ the back of our office . It actually hung from the existing single storey roof :rolleyes: Those were the days of " Three Metre Peter" @ Wealden Distict Council.

Well I have contacted the council next to my council and they said I would be ok with a steel raft???

So abit miffed now!!!!!!!!

Looking on the direct gov website, I can either go through the council or an aproved inspector.

Contacted one and they are about £100 more than the council but if it save me the cost of digging to australia or buying tons of concrete, I think that is my best option.

Think if I contacted the council and had it out with them, they would be funny with everything :cry:
jeds has hit it on the head already, BC inspectors are not structural engineers so if asked what foundations you should fit and they're unsure they'll err on the side of caution. Have it designed or err on the side of caution, its up to you.

Employ an SE, you know it makes sense :LOL:

AS FMT says, never ask a BCO for sizes. That's not their job and they will go large - unless they are old and bold ones who were on the tools before they went into inspecting, who tend to be somewhat more sensible than the noobs.

There are exceptions ofc, just as there are with SEs who go waaaay over the top with their design (like FMT arf arf!).

Employ an SE, you know it makes sense :LOL:

AS FMT says, never ask a BCO for sizes. That's not their job and they will go large - unless they are old and bold ones who were on the tools before they went into inspecting, who tend to be somewhat more sensible than the noobs.

There are exceptions ofc, just as there are with SEs who go waaaay over the top with their design (like FMT arf arf!).
At least my details when built as drawn don't leak! :LOL:

Look on the bright side, at least you will have a top-spec' footing should you ever wish to do a 'proper' job. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back