Digging Footings before Building Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have had planning permission for a project, and I am in touch with a private building control for a quote to do drawings etc for Full Plans.

However, I have already booked a digger in a weeks time to dig the footings out - and I am unlikely to have full building control in place with plans by then.

So my question is - can I crack on and dig out the footings, 1m deep, 600mm wide for a dormer bungalow, without implications on building regs?

Sponsored Links
Who's doing the build? If your doing it then do it on a building notice as you won't need full plans then and can start as you inform the building inspector.

If your having a builder doing it all then you could still use a building notice but you open yourself to issues of liability if you've not got a full set of plans for the builder.

If your set on going full plans then you'll need to speak to the building officer in question and see if he's happy for you to get on with the foundations based on your planning application drawings

Is this a new build dormer bungalow? Can you do that on a Building Notice?

Why is the private building control company drawing the plans? Normally they just check the plans?

Normally if you submit a full plans application you are allowed to start work before approval but any work is done entirely at your own risk. The building inspector will still come out and inspect the foundations. But if you don't even have any plans I don't really see how you could even submit the application?

This all sounds like a disaster in the making.

It depends if such a trench is actually suitable, and if the sides will stay up for so long.

And ignoring the open ground shrinking in all that time and causing problems later.

Sponsored Links
Is this a new build dormer bungalow? Can you do that on a Building Notice?

Why is the private building control company drawing the plans? Normally they just check the plans?

Normally if you submit a full plans application you are allowed to start work before approval but any work is done entirely at your own risk. The building inspector will still come out and inspect the foundations. But if you don't even have any plans I don't really see how you could even submit the application?

This all sounds like a disaster in the making.
No not a new build - but they are fairly extensive alterations.

The firm I am using for building control also have close ties with an architect who will be doing the drawings.

I have no plans yet - but I nearly know who I am using for building control, and for the drawings. So no, not submitted the application yet.

The point of my question was, if I do not have the sign off from building control, can I still go ahead and dig footings now. That was all.

Can't see a problem this happens all the time, but you shouldn't pull foundations until you know who will be doing building control, as they will need to inspect before pouring concrete. Once you know the building control company check with them to make sure they have registered the application (important - don't start before registration) and that they are happy for you to carry on with foundations before final sign off of plans. If so then crack on.

The point of my question was, if I do not have the sign off from building control, can I still go ahead and dig footings now. That was all.
Strictly, no.
The law states that you need to give 48 hours notice to the building control body. You could either submit a Building Notice, or submit a full plans application but with limited plans just to get the application registered.

But the issue is not of legal implications but one of it being very bad practice and high risk of an open trench for so long leading to significant movement later when the building is built.

And the reference to a building control firm having close ties with an Architect is a massive risk for a client. Again, risk of problems later with the building.

The firm I am using for building control also have close ties with an architect who will be doing the drawings.

That's a first for me! No risk of a conflict of interest there then?

Normally if you submit a full plans application you are allowed to start work before approval but any work is done entirely at your own risk. The building inspector will still come out and inspect the foundations. What don't you understand??????

I doubt anyone can stop you digging a hole, but they will want to check it before you fill them to ensure the correct depth and ground conditions at the bottom of the footing. I would hold fire as it may be that they don't even need to be as deep as you think.

Don't leave the footings open as they will more than likely collapse

Hello, I have had planning permission for a project, and I am in touch with a private building control for a quote to do drawings etc for Full Plans.

However, I have already booked a digger in a weeks time to dig the footings out - and I am unlikely to have full building control in place with plans by then.

So my question is - can I crack on and dig out the footings, 1m deep, 600mm wide for a dormer bungalow, without implications on building regs?
Bad idea. The last thing you want is collapsed sides, trenches full of muddy water and a dangerous site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back