garage insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting site!

Am thinking of insulating our totally detatched garage shortly,mainly to try and keep a reasonably stable temperature and reduce condensation to a minimum.
Was going to batten the walls then add layer of insulating material (what's best?) then fix some 12.5mm plasterboard...job done!
However have read on this site that the insulation material is not required if foil backed plaster board is used as the trapped air does the insulating....any comments? also how far apart do the battens need to be or is it just personal preference?Im guessing about 18"-24" between each,are noggins necessary?
Thanks Guys(and Gals)

Sponsored Links
hogster said:
Was going to batten the walls then add layer of insulating material (what's best?)
They are all petty good but I find the polstyrene slab are easy and it's clean with no dusts, Wickes do them in 25mm or 50mm here
then fix some 12.5mm plasterboard...job done!
The problem with plasterboard, they do dent easily but depending what you want to do. You could use 12mm exterior plywood instead although they are many difference type of sheeting out there.
However have read on this site that the insulation material is not required if foil backed plaster board is used as the trapped air does the insulating....any comments?
The idea of the silver foil back is for moisture resistance an also reflect the heat back into the room
also how far apart do the battens need to be or is it just personal preference?Im guessing about 18"-24" between each,are noggins necessary?
I normally do 400mm centre

Thanks Masona,thats a great help,looked into the ply option but its a lot more costly, though I guess when its done thats it and you have a good solid base to hang up all the junk that tends to find it's way to the garage!
At the risk of sounding thick :oops: when using the foil back PB does the foil face into the room(to reflect the heat as you described) or towards the wall, if its the first option I may have to invest in a mirror ball and white 3 piece suit! :D

you would have a job skimming a foil backed board wouldn't you. :D

fix 'em foil to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Doh! :oops: yeah never thought of that, would've been fun trying and definitely a good story for the embarrassing tales section on here!
Thanks Guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back