Garage light fitting, for a cheapskate

K

kuytd

Hi, I'm hoping one of you clever electrical types may be able to help.

I have just picked up a set of old light fittings (tracking with 3 lamp holders) that have just been taken down at work, with the intention of fitting in my garage that currently has no lights or power.

I would like to get a couple of power sockets at the same time for tools, but understand that with the different amp needs of each thing, that its not that simple.

Do I simply drill a hole through the wall, stick an extension lead through and put a plug on the lights cable with the correct ampage, so I can still use the remaining sockets on the extensions lead for other things?

Or, do i buy a cheap fuse box for the garage, use a spare fuse (old style box) from my existing fuse box out to it and split it that way?

Any help much appreciated.......

Sponsored Links
Do I simply drill a hole through the wall, stick an extension lead through and put a plug on the lights cable with the correct ampage, so I can still use the remaining sockets on the extensions lead for other things?
I would think this is probably the best way for you.
Or, do i buy a cheap fuse box for the garage, use a spare fuse (old style box) from my existing fuse box out to it and split it that way?
This would have to be done 'properly' involving either the Local Authority or a Registered Electrician.

Hi.

The garage is attached to the house, it links us and the next semi as the roof was made as a bridge between during their extension. If i were to drill through the wall, there are two points very close to the outside wall.

If I were to do the fuse box idea, I would use trunking around the outside front of the house, from my front porch as that is where the current old fuse box is at.....

Sponsored Links
It would be best if you could either route the cable directly form house to garage without going externally.
If that is not an option, then the next best option would be the use of SWA cable, rather than routing within trunking.
If SWA can be fitted securely to the structure of the building above ground level that could be the way to go.
It sounds like this is going be a new circuit and awareness of building controls and notification, if this is a DIY job must be made.
Even if it is not DIY and you have an electrician sorted out, again be aware of the relevant requirements of building controls for this work.

So. If I...

1. Get some flex and a twin wall box to make myself an extension
2. Feed flex through hole in wall, to stick normal plug on other end to go into existing socket
3. Wire up the old track with a plug, fit a low amp fuse (3 or 5 amp?) and plug that into home made extension

Then I should have safe lighting and a spare plug for power tools? Do you folks think that is a safe way of doing it???...

1. Get some flex and a twin wall box to make myself an extension
2. Feed flex through hole in wall, to stick normal plug on other end to go into existing socket
3. Wire up the old track with a plug, fit a low amp fuse (3 or 5 amp?) and plug that into home made extension
Then I should have safe lighting and a spare plug for power tools? Do you folks think that is a safe way of doing it???...
Yes.

Or
Just get a standard extension lead with 2, 3, or 4 sockets and fit to garage wall. They usually have holes/slots on the back. You put screws in the wall the correct distance apart and hook the sockets on.
Cut off the plug and refit on other side of the wall.
It will have 13A fuse in it.

Not elegant but you did say cheapskate

P.S. You should have RCD protection for outside tools so may be better if you bought a double socket with integral RCD for garage.

Yes. (as with everything, there are better quality ones but it's better than what you have now)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back