Garage lights and sockets failed - old wiring issues I think

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently the lights and sockets in our detached garage have failed. Looking at the garage all I can see are a few wires running from what looks like an outside junction?? box (white and round) into the structure (which is wooden) and then to the light switch and the sockets. Haven't a clue where to start to fix and I suspect that the wiring is old and doesn't meet modern spec. What advice can anyone give for this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just recently the lights and sockets in our detached garage have failed.
Have you looked at your fuse/MCB/RCD?

Looking at the garage all I can see are a few wires running from what looks like an outside junction?? box (white and round) into the structure (which is wooden) and then to the light switch and the sockets. Haven't a clue where to start to fix and I suspect that the wiring is old and doesn't meet modern spec. What advice can anyone give for this? Thanks
My advice would be that if the simple solution (tripped/blown fuse/MCB etc) isn't the cause then how confident are you in doing electrical work yourself - If you are not confident then call an electrician out to assist you.

Where would the fuse be in a garage - I know this sounds silly but it appears that the wiring come directly from the outside power source and into the switches and sockets. On the main RCB for the house there doesn't appear to be a switch for the garage.

Just to add I traced the wiring further. The cable from the outside enters the garage and then is joined to another cable which attaches to a 'light switch', which feeds the bulbs in the garage.

The switch itself itself appears very old indeed and has two internal terminals and a black 'unit' that is on the underside - no sign of a fuse but I am guessing it must be inside the black cover thing.

Apologies for my ignorance but I want to be very careful with this.

I don't even know if switching of mains power isolates the garage.

Sponsored Links
Just to add I traced the wiring further. The cable from the outside enters the garage and then is joined to another cable which attaches to a 'light switch', which feeds the bulbs in the garage.

The switch itself itself appears very old indeed and has two internal terminals and a black 'unit' that is on the underside - no sign of a fuse but I am guessing it must be inside the black cover thing.

Apologies for my ignorance but I want to be very careful with this.

I don't even know if switching of mains power isolates the garage.

That doesn't sound right to be honest. I'm not an qualified electrician, but you sound as if you're not to confident with electrics and maybe don't know what is going on. I would call an electrician in to have this looked at the last thing you want to do is to hurt yourself trying to fix this.

mixup said:
Where would the fuse be in a garage -

The fuse in question wouldn't be in the garage; it would be in the house, protecting the cable between house and garage. There should also be a small consumer unit in the garage with at least two fuses or breakers in it: one for the lights and one for the sockets. You appear to have something that's been cobbled together rather badly! :!: :!: :!:

and also said:
On the main RCB for the house there doesn't appear to be a switch for the garage.

Somewhere in the house there will be a fuse or breaker but it might not be just for the garage. That outside cable might have been tapped straight off a ring main. Alternatively - and better in some respects, considering what's in the garage - it might come from an FCU on a ring main. In the worst possible case it might have been tapped straight off the meter side of your house consumer unit. :eek: :eek: :eek: Let's hope not.

If the garage lights were working, I would suggest that you go through your house CU and pull fuses or switch off breakers one by one until the lights went off - but it's too late for that now. :( :( :( If everything else in the house is still working, look for an FCU with a popped fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back