Garage Overhead Storage Platform

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just looking for a quick bit of a sense check on a job I plan to start next week.

Planning to build an overhead storage platform in my garage to free up a bit of floor space.

Plan is to build the platform at 1200mm deep (4ft), the span is 2500mm (8ft ish), using 2x4s and joist hangers and angle corner brackets.

Just wondering what distance I should be spacing the joist hangers - guessing 300mm centres?

Next question I've got is about attaching the ledger to the wall - would M8x100 coach screws be sufficient for this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Previous owner added the garage to the house which is effectively a single storey extension.

Its breezeblock internal wall as part of the new extension and red brick on the original house external wall.

Roof is hipped design with a tiled roof.

Last edited:
600mm centre should be fine, not going to be much room in a small space like that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for coming back to me.

Yes it’s not going to be a large area it’s mainly just to get some bigger bits of kit off the floor to free up the floor spaces - tired of tripping over stuff as we go in and out of the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back