Installation of joist hangers for Garage loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am installing 2 large joists (50 x 225mm) to support loft space in a garage for storage. These are going under the existing smaller joists running perpendicular to meet building regulations.

I have looked through the numbers of joist hangers that I need to buy but most have an overhang that sits on top of the breeze block (or in the wall ...fine if I was building the wall and cementing more blocks on top!)

My question is, as both walls are already built, how do I install the hangers - do I need to cut into the wall and post the overhang bit of the joist hanger into the wall to sit flush? ...and anyway I would not beable to install the joist without putting these on the ends anyway?

My only thinkable solution is to buy flush joist hangers like the 'BAT maxi speedy joist hangers', put them on the ends of the joist, raise them into position and drill and raw bolt them into the wall.

Would this be ok? All advise greatly appreciated!! :)

Sponsored Links
Drill out the slots, slide the hanger in, wedge or mortar the slot back up

Simples

Angry_CloseUp.gif

Can the joists not sit on the masonry?

Granted, you will need to pass one end of the joist further through one side than t'uther but why not bear them directly upon masonry?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back