Garage partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
so, my garage is 9m long x 3m wide.
The door is RUBBISH!! but long term we've plans to reorganise the downstairs and as such the garage will be getting widened to 5m which will call for a new door.
I like being in the garage, but it's bloody freezing half the time. So I thought it might be a good idea to put up a partition wall blocking off the front 3m section from the rest of the garage.

This will leave me room at the front for my motorbike, then leaving the remaining 6m length for Gym and "workshop" areas which is what we use.

My question is really down to construction - anything I should consider?

I was purely looking to put up a stud wall, stick some rockwall in the gaps then put some plasterboard over the top. and probably use either plaster tap or contact wallpaper and paint it.

I'll be putting a door in there (as I have a spare) but just want to ensure there's no damp or anything (i.e. should I coat the stud or anything)

but that's the plan. Once we widen the garage i'll take the partition down as we'll put a new door up so don't want to spend loads, just want to make the room comfortable when we're in there, and doing this will mean I can heat it a bit, as i'll probably do the ceiling too eventually.

Sponsored Links
cheapest option for temporary job is probably CLS studwork, say 3 x 2, plasterboard both sides and a bit of rockwall or similar in between.

For a more solid job use 4 x 2.

Put a strip of dpc on the ground before the sole plate, same on walls. make sure plasterboard doesnt touch any potential damp. You can get plasterboard that is moisture resistant -its not waterproof but a bit better than the standard stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back