Garage Piers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have attached an image of the current iteration for one of the garage walls.

The wall length is 5.8 metres. As you can see, there are 2 piers on the left, both are 220mm; they will support the door. The distance from the second pier to the end of the wall is 4270mm.
There is a 3rd pier in the middle, it is 440mm. I am questioning whether I should keep the 440mm pier.

Please advise.

Attachments

• pier.png
    pier.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,455
Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody. That wall will be restrained by the roof joists.

I was initially going to have the joists running over the garage door (that is adjacent to the right of the wall pictured in the attachment of my first post), but then the joist length will be over 6 metres and I would need to support it. To compensate I have added two 330mm piers on each side of the garage door to give the wall and the door ample support. That should suffice, correct ? garage door will be 2080mm, and the wall length with be 5620mm. Picture attached.

Attachments

• garagedoor.png
    garagedoor.png
    635.6 KB · Views: 450
Yes piers either side of any door opening, and then brace the four walls of the flat roof and it all supports itself like a big box.

Sponsored Links
Yes piers either side of any door opening, and then brace the four walls of the flat roof and it all supports itself like a big box.
Thanks. By brace all walls you mean the attached? I guess I would attach the joists to the braces via joist hangers or something.

Attachments

• brace.png
    brace.png
    939.7 KB · Views: 311

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back